Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2011, 01:51 AM   #1

Share |

Thermocouple nut problem w/ gas fireplace

Hello,

I have a Superior brand LP gas fireplace model DR 600 CMP (Honeywell valve assy.) which has a shot thermocouple (see linked image top left). Apparently the thermocouple split/exploded or what have you and needs to be changed out. I called my local supplier and have a new one on order.

I attempted to loosen the retainer nut (arrowed in linked image) by turning it clockwise (from above) with a ĹĒ open wrench. The thing is so tight that the whole pilot assembly is twisting as I apply torque to loosen the nut. There is nothing to grab on the assembly itself to prevent this problem and Iím at a loss. I did try grabbing a portion of the assembly between the thermocouple and the pilot (in the front) with a pair of needle-nosed Vice Grips, but it didnít help much.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to loosen that nut so I can replace the thermocouple?

Thanks in advance!!
Movick

movick724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:00 AM   #2

Thermocouple nut problem w/ gas fireplace

Penetrating oil like Kroil perhaps? I'm just afraid that overspray may contaminate the delicate parts of the assy. I'll of course mask off all critical areas. Yes?

Last edited by movick724; 11-08-2011 at 03:03 AM.
movick724 is offline   Reply With Quote