DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

are there range hoods that do not require electrical hookup?

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  troubleseeker 
#1 ·
i have no electrical to connect a range hood under my cabinet. are there any range hoods on the market to just look good, and perhaps catch the smoke and grease. . . but do not need electrical?

#4 · (Edited)
No is the easy answer. You probably have a dishwasher and disposal? You will have easy access to 110v needed for a fan hood there you can tap without too much trouble if you have a tiled backsplash or something you do not want to break up. It is nice to keep a dishwasher with heating element on its own circuit though.

Your ceiling fixtures are likely wired hot, with a switch in the middle, so you could tap that circuit for a low watt hood fan unless there is a bunch of stuff on it.

You do have a plan in mind for venting the hood right? Make sure you get a good one with accessible grease filters and so forth. Last thing you want is a new stove exhaust hood sucking stuff and grease and depositing it in the attack or ceiling space! Have seen DIYers do this more times than I would like!

#7 ·
No is the easy answer. You probably have a dishwasher and disposal? You will have easy access to 110v needed for a fan hood there you can tap without too much trouble quote]

That is against code. Each permanent appliance ; dishwasher, range, refrigerator, built in microwave, etc. is required to have a dedicated circuit. Are these kind of taps commonly done, yes; but that doesn't make them correct.

#5 ·
Search on
battery range hood

Smoke and grease are heavier than air so I can't see how this could work without a fan. Convection won't do it and a positive pressure in your house might scatter the smoke and grease everywhere.

Can you run a duct to where there is power available?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.