Temp Alarm On A Maytag Refrigerator - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2015, 08:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 880

Temp Alarm on a Maytag Refrigerator

We have a 5 year old Maytag MFI2569VEQ.
There was just a 15 second power outage. The "temp alarm" light is flashing and beeping; and the temperature setting is alternating between 38 and 50.
Pushing the button in for a while causes everything to stop, but pushing it again makes it all resume. We have had plenty of power outages, both a couple seconds and a couple hours, but this has never happened before.

The manual says it means that the temperature has exceeded the normal temperature for more than an hour; pushing the button will stop the beeping and the temperature changes, but it will continue flashing until the normal temperature is reached. Supposedly the 50 means it reached 50 during the power outage, but that seems unlikely.

In this case, it does not continue flashing, and a thermometer shows a normal temperatures in both refrigerator and freezer. So I don't know what to make of it.

Is it broken? Does it need to be repaired?

Advertisement

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #2

I have a new symptom. According to two thermometers the temperature in the refrigerator is 30 when it is set to 38. I have to raise it to 42 to get it to 36.
The freezer however seems about right (with the freezer set at 0 and the fridge set at 42)

I have no idea what it was before the power outage, but the food in the refrigerator wasn't frozen, so it must have been higher than 30.

Advertisement

Old 09-08-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,518

try to unplug it for a few minutes to see if it will reset control, if not sounds like the temp sensor is going bad.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:58 AM   #4

I tried the temperature sensor again and it is now fine.

The refrigerator temperature is now 2 degrees warmer and the freezer temperature 2 degrees colder than the controls say. Last time I looked (3 years ago?) they were accurate. Don't know if the change is sudden or gradual.
Does that mean anything?
Is there any way to adjust them so they are accurate?
Old 09-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,518

sounds like all is well again, I wouldn't worry too much about a 2 degree variance