||01-07-2013 02:36 PM
Stinkbug between the glass panes of my Microwave's door!
This is going to sound like an odd question but here it goes: Our Kenmore microwave is brand new - it was installed in Summer 2011, so its only a year and a half old. Its over the stove and vents out to the outside. In the Northern Virginia area, stinkbugs are a common pest. They measure about an inch long. Its expected they can get into the home through openings like vents and windows, so its not unheard of that one would enter through the ventillation of the microwave. However, I was shocked to find one on New Year's Day inside the glass of the microwave's door. It was alive in between the two panes of glass. :eek: A week later, he's still alive in there, too! I'm sure he'll die soon enough, but wow, what a fighter.
I looked all over the microwave and I could only find two openings in the inside of the door: The hinges and the clamps that close when the door shuts. Neither of those seem like ways a stinkbug could get between the two panes of glass because I would assume the inside of the door is designed to be sealed airtight to protect from microwaves. There are no instructions for disassembling the door, rightfully so, since that could cause a leak in microwave radiation.
So, the purpose of me writing is to ask someone familiar with the design and construction of Kenmore microwaves to give their opinion on how an inch-long bug could have gotten between the panes of glass. And further, does this opening represent a hazard that could allow microwave radiation to escape if it could allow a large bug to enter.
Thanks so much! :thumbsup: