Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #1

Share |

Stackable Washer / Dryer Upstairs

I'm on the second floor of a condo that has very limited storage space, so I'd like to sell my washer and dryer and replace them with a full size stackable front loading unit. The condo complex isn't known for being well constructed, so my concern is if I have the washer and dryer both completely full, am I going to end up giving my downstairs neighbors a new washer, dryer, and skylight?

RammsteinNicCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

You may also give them a shaking & these things make alot of noise unless, installed on a solid ( concrete floor)

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #3

The particular unit I'm looking at, from what most people say, does not vibrate that much on the second floor. Most of those people didn't stack them though, so I don't know if that would change anything (I would think there'd be less vibrating stacked).
Old 04-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #4

I think samsung has a self leveling machine that doesnt shake as much.
Quadfam4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #5

It's really more the weight that I'm concerned about rather than the shaking. Vibrating can be fixed, to an extent. A whole in my floor / neighbor's ceiling is a little harder.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #6

I would say put some plywood down and put some peel and stick tile on the plywood so it doesnt look so bad. Dryers arent all that heavy so its not going to put much more weight on that spot. Put something level and hardy under the washer and you shouldnt have much of a problem. Front load washers have shocks (some more than others) and dont tend to shake as much as a top load washer would. I know that my duet has four shocks and it works to level itself if its not level it stops tosses the clothes more and starts again in a spin and even in the high speed spin it doesnt shake as much as my top loader did.

Last edited by Quadfam4; 04-30-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Quadfam4 is offline   Reply With Quote