Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:42 PM   #1

Share |

Squeaking dryer

We have a 4-5 year old Whirlpool dryer that came with the house. Whenever we have it on, 95% of the time it makes a squealing sound that seems to me to be a bearing/bushing wearing out, or something to that effect. It's dependant on the position of the tumbler chamber (?) as it only occurs once per revolution.

Are there common areas to check myself to see what might be the problem, or, common parts to replace myself that should solve this? OR, since it's in the basement away from the main living areas of the house, and it doesn't really annoy us, should I leave it until it seizes?

Tx,
Eric

curls00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #2

Squeaking dryer

I'm not very familiar with Whirlpool dryers, but I can tell you that there are lots of things in a dryer that will cause a squeek, but none that I can think of that only cause a squeek once per tumbler drum revolution other than the tumbler drum itself.

On the Whirlpool dryers I have had the priviledge of taking apart, there is no "bearing" that the tumber rotates on. There are two rollers on the back bulkhead of the machine that the back of the drum rolls on, and two glides on the front bulkhead that the front of the drum slides on. There is no bearing on which the drum turns. However the drum rollers at the back of the machine turn much faster than the drum, as does the idler pulley and the motor pulley.

I'm thinking that it could be the tumbler drum itself is rubbing against something every revolution.

Jeff1 is an appliance repair tech. Hopefully he can think of something the drum might rub against to cause a squeeking sound with every drum rotation.

Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #3

Squeaking dryer

Hi,

No model# posted ( WLP has built more than one style dryer ).

-Some- common trouble makers...
http://www.applianceaid.com/whirlpoo...rs.html#noises

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
jeff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:35 AM   #4

Squeaking dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1 View Post
Hi,

No model# posted ( WLP has built more than one style dryer ).

-Some- common trouble makers...
http://www.applianceaid.com/whirlpoo...rs.html#noises

jeff.
Hi Jeff,

I REALLY appreciate the response, thanks. I'll grab the model number tonight when I'm home from work and post it up. It appears to be a fairly straightforward job, and I have good mechanical aptitude (it can't be more complicated than replacing a timing belt in a car, or rebuilding an engine, can it!? I love to work on my cars.)

Cheers,
Eric
Old 06-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #5

Squeaking dryer

Quote:
it can't be more complicated than replacing a timing belt in a car, or rebuilding an engine, can it!?
Nope.

jeff.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #6

Squeaking dryer

OK, got the details:

Whirlpool model# YLEQ5000KQ1
Type CWJR-ELE-2306024-FM54

Thanks again Jeff!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #7

Squeaking dryer

Quote:
YLEQ5000KQ1
2 roller style.

Some access helps...
http://www.applianceaid.com/wpdryer_how-to.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/slidewpdry.html

Drum Support Roller - Package of two

Idler Pulley Assembly

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
Old 06-25-2008, 06:55 AM   #8
Florida Cracker

Squeaking dryer

Make sure you take a look at the plastic guides on the front of the drum to make sure they are still in place.
My dryer was squealing and it turned out to only have one of three glides left.
It was about a $13 fix and was very easy.
Jack A. Trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #9

Squeaking dryer

Hey Jeff and Jack of all Trades...

I had some idle time yesterday, so what better way to spend it than taking apart my dryer!

I got everything apart and cleaned out the bottom (found two coins totalling $1.10!) and inspected the guide wheels and the tensioner, as well as the plastic guides on the front lip of the drum, and the belt. All seemed just fine, no binding when free-spinning the wheel, no binding of the motor when turned by hand. Belt looked good, no cracks. Guides looked fine, as did the felt on front and back of the dryer drum.

I took some silicone spray and cleaned the area where the rollers would contact the drum at the rear of the drum... there was some rubber deposit starting to form on that area but it's cleaned now. There was some lint and some greasy residue on the bottom of the dryer floor which is now cleaner than before.

My question is: Would the guide rollers, belt, or tensioner feel fine but still be defective or in need of replacement? I still hear a hint of squeaking when i started it up, albeit there was no clothes in the dryer to possibly weigh down the drum and cause a more pronounced squeal.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 07-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #10
Florida Cracker

Squeaking dryer

Sorry man, all I've done is replaced the glides.
I know automotive belt tensioners can feel fine and squeak- you can tell if they are the source of the noise with an automotive stethoscope.
Jack A. Trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #11

Squeaking dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack A. Trades View Post
Sorry man, all I've done is replaced the glides.
I know automotive belt tensioners can feel fine and squeak- you can tell if they are the source of the noise with an automotive stethoscope.
I know what you mean about automotive tensioners, but most/all of them are actual rollers on bearings. The tensioner in this dryer is just a guide... there's no moving parts on it. Don't see how a new one would squeak less than an old one. So maybe that points to the roller guides?

I'll wait until we test it for the next few days and see if my cleaning/inspecting worked any magic.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #12

Squeaking dryer

Curls:

Normally, if a belt LOOKS good, it still is good. However, you can't tell if the drum rollers that the back of the drum rides on are good just by turning them by hand. You won't turn them fast enough for them to squeek as they would in service. Also, there won't be any weight on them when the drum is out of the machine.

Most commonly it's the drum rollers that the back of the drum rides on that first start to squeek.

If you have good access, give each of those drum rollers a shot of WD-40 right where the bearing meets the axle it turns on. If the squeeking goes away for a few days, then that's where the source of the squeeking is.

Also, maybe go buy a cheap "mechanic's stethoscope" for $10 or $15 at places where they sell automotive tools. A mechanic's stethoscope consists of a metal probe that's attached to a thin metal diaphragm that's encased in plastic. Two tubes come off that plastic casing and go to your ears. Since noise is caused by vibrations, when you touch the metal probe to various parts of an engine that's producing a noise, the noise will be heard loudest when the probe is touching the part of the engine that's vibrating to create that noise. Thus, you can determine the source of the noise in your dryer with an inexpensive mechanic's stethoscope.

The cheap ones cost about $10 or $15, and that's all you need. You can get mechanic's stethoscopes that cost several hundred dollars.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #13

Squeaking dryer

Well my few minutes of cleaning didn't seem to help. Once there is a load of wet clothes in the dryer, the squeaking returns.

I've ordered that kit for about $26 locally and should be able to install it tomorrow evening and test it by the weekend.

Thanks guys.
Eric
Old 07-08-2008, 07:18 AM   #14

Squeaking dryer

Quote:
Would the guide rollers, belt, or tensioner feel fine but still be defective or in need of replacement?
Belt...probably not, front support/glides...probably not.
Idler pulley and rollers are an oil inpregnated bearing, if most or all of the oil is gone from the bearing it can look fine but still make a noise. Some are noisey when hot, some cold, ect.

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
Old 07-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #15

Squeaking dryer

Fixed 100% - got the kit that included the two rollers, a handful of triangle rings (only need 4), a pair of stoppers (only need one) and a belt.

Took 45 minutes this time and all seems 100% better with a large damp load of laundry, whereas it used to squeak before.

Thanks everyone for the great help!
Eric