DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Spinning spindle on my washing machine

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  jwo 
#1 ·
Hi all:
Posted previously about agitator/auger problem. I thought it was the cam dogs. Turns out the unit is inseparable. Installed the new unit only to discover that the spindle is spinning INSIDE the new unit. There is a corregated metal cap that fits over the spindle and meshes inside the agitator/auger unit. Problem is that the spindle is spinning inside this cap, nothing is agitating.
Has anyone come up against this before? The spindle doesn't seem stripped--it's smooth to begin with. Is there a trick to this?
Thanks

#5 ·
sorry, but I don't have a clue about what you are talking about. Your washer is a Frigidaire built unit, the agitator is a one piece unit. The agitator slides over the splines on the transmission shaft and then a screw holds it in place. If the agitator is in place and screwed down and it still does not agitate then you probably have a bad transmission. BTW, that unit is one big piece of sh**

#6 ·
Hardwareman:

Thanks. you're right; it is a piece of crap.
The agitator does slip down over the splines on the hub, but the hub is a separate piece from the transmission. It looks like a large thimble. When I slip it onto the tranny spindle (that's not the technical name, of course), I can turn it, easily. It shouldn't turn at all. Could I have possibly STRIPPED the inside of the hub?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.