Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #1

Share |

Spin cycle not working

Hey, does anyone know what to look for if the washing machine doesn't spin on spin cycle? I have3 kids and I'm hooped if I can't fix this problem soon! Thanks in advance guys!
allison78ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #2

Spin cycle not working

It's almost always the lid switch. When you close the door, it pushes on a switch. Those switches can fail or get twitchy. I've had situations where they've acted up, then miraculously started working again. Also, in desperation, you can gently jam something in there to push harder on the switch.

There's lots of instructions online about how to take the case off the machine to get at the switch and repair or replace it. Not ultra easy but not super hard either.

If it is the switch, and you can confirm it by using an object to push on it, I bet a handyman or repairman could repair it for under $100.
Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #3

Spin cycle not working

probably the lid proof switch check here for other items it could be.. www.repairclinic.com good luck
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #4

Spin cycle not working

Thanks guys! I will do that.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Spin cycle not working

if not the lid switch post your make and model. There are many other things it can be, but the lid switch would be the first thing to check.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #6

Spin cycle not working

It's not the lid switch. The agitater doesn't move. I was going to take that centre piece off to see if there was a garment stuck under it but then noticed what looks like black metal or something on the floor under the washer. Something must have died. Like a motor? Anyone have that problem before?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Spin cycle not working

I thought you said you had a spin problem? Now you say it won't agitate, which is it? We cant help much if you don't give the needed info.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Household Handyman

Spin cycle not working

A lot of washing machines have the agitator mechanism built in under the agitator. Get you model number and google how it is made/put together. On a lot of these there is a cap on top of the agitator which can be pulled to access a nut. This nut can be removed to remove the agitator with a hard pulling action. Underneath the agitator there is the mechanism which make the agitator, well-agitate. On some models there is a rubber-ish, black colored seal. It's possibel that this seal has dis-integrated and is what you are seeing in the washer. Depending on your machine a new agitator unit and seal may cost you about $35. Now if you do have a spin cycle problem then the likely cause, as stated, would be the switch for the door. Depending on you DIY skills this can be tested by unplugging the washer, raising the top of the washer, accessing the switch, taking the two wires from the switch, taping them together so as to by-pass the switch,re-placing the top, returning power to the washer, and trying the washer again. IF you do this do it carefully.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #9

Spin cycle not working

Well, if it won't spin, and it won't agitate but you can hear the motor, and there are black shavings on the floor underneath, I would suggest the motor to transmission coupling.

On direct drive washers, the motor drives the transmission through a coupler which is usually hard black rubber. The motor one direction agitates, and reverse direction spins. If the coupler is intact usually one of the two functions, agitate or spin will work.

Daniel
FixitDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #10

Spin cycle not working

If you are hearing the motor running, but nothing's happening, check these things: Many washers these days use a one-way clutch...The motor spins one way to agitate, and another direction to spin the tub. If the motor is spinning, but the tub is not, it could be a clutch. Older washers, like the pre 80's Whirlpools have a pair of solenoids called a "wig-Wag" that shift the gears in the transmission between spin and agitate. If one of these solenoids are bad, same thing...either spin or agitate goes out. Maytags I think, specifically, have spin belts that don't come into play during agitate. The belts (very similar to the ones on yard tools) are designed to intentionally slip when the motor goes into spin cycle to reduce shock and unbalanced forces on the motor. When these belts get old though, they tend to stretch and slip too much, causing the motor to spin, but never get enough grip to move the tub.
av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #11

Spin cycle not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixitDragon View Post
Well, if it won't spin, and it won't agitate but you can hear the motor, and there are black shavings on the floor underneath, I would suggest the motor to transmission coupling.

On direct drive washers, the motor drives the transmission through a coupler which is usually hard black rubber. The motor one direction agitates, and reverse direction spins. If the coupler is intact usually one of the two functions, agitate or spin will work.

Daniel

This was my first guess. Had mine go out last year. It was a 10 minute fix, after getting the part. Repairclinic.com and appliancepartspros.com have great video tutorials, troubleshooting info, and great return policies.
Seattle2k is online now   Reply With Quote