Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Sony Projection TV Problem

I have a Sony projection TV (52-inch) and I am experiencing tiny blue spots in the background in the picture. I tried replacing the lamp but it did not help. Does anyone know how to fix this?

charlesdan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #2

I have a Sony LCD projector, and it has the same problem. Unfortunatley, if your TV has an LCD projector in it, chances are it's the blue LCD panel that is going bad. Sony projectors use 3 LCD panels for each of the 3 primary colors (red, blue and green) UV radiation tends to damage the blue LCD panel more quickly than the others. Sony will not sell just that LCD panel, but sells all 3 in a "prizim block assembly" that is as much as a new TV or projector. You may be able to find a used TV with the same problem, and sacrifice it for an LCD panel. The red and green LCD panels are exactly the same and are typically still good. What determines their color is what side of the prism they are installed on, so you can take a red or green LCD panel, and swap out the blue. The challenge though in doing this is getting the convergence correct. The pictures on all 3 LCD panels must be aligned on the screen, or the picture will be blurry, or have color halos. On projectors, it's not too hard, because the projector can be operated with the color off, but the prisim block installed and accessable. by bumping the lcd panel with a small screwdriver, you can align it. With a TV however, being able to see the screen, and have access to the projector at the same time may be a bit of a challenge.

av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #3

Hello Charlesdan1,

Good afternoon! My name is Amanda Maffei and I work for the SonyListens department. We're here to listen and respond to our customers that are having issues with their Sony Electronics, and we resolve whatever issue that may be. Please email us at Sonylistens@am.sony.com, with your contact information, mailing address, full model number and serial number of your TV that you're currently having issues with when it is convenient for you. And please also add a description of the issue. I assure you myself or one of my team members will get back to you with a response within 1 to 2 business days or sooner. Thank you! =)

-Amanda Maffei

SonyListens team
SonyListens is offline   Reply With Quote