Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

snowblower dilemma

My snowblower, appox 4 years old and rarely used, is running poorly and when it is actually running, leaking oil. It stops leaking oil when it is no longer running. I could get it to run for short periods at a time but it would run well and then fade and then run well and then fade etc. When I would hit the snow, it would throw it for a while and then start to tuck ker out. I then notice the oil leaking but I couldn't determine where exactly it was leaking from. I took it into a shop for diagnosis and they told me it needed an auger drive belt replacement and possibly the carb was leaking (diaghram, jets needed) or a kit replacement. One fix was $220, the other with a total carb replacement was $320 (this is Canada). They weren't sure if this was the problem. Briggs and Stratton engine.

Does this sound like a reasonable strategy?

Non-handyman forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 83

snowblower dilemma

If it will run, but not well, you could try some fuel system cleaner. I used this on my 1984 snapper snow blower and it helped clean up the stale gas. Not sure if it would help with the leak or the belt issue, but would help with consistant running.

The one I use is B12 Chemtool: http://berrymanproducts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=140

Belt shouldn't be too hard to do. If you have the make and model number of the snowblower, and the model of the engine, that would help with getting you better info on it.

jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

snowblower dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-handyman forever View Post
One fix was $220, the other with a total carb replacement was $320 (this is Canada). They weren't sure if this was the problem. Briggs and Stratton engine.

Does this sound like a reasonable strategy?
write down your engine model number and look up the cost of a new carb on a small engine parts website. you can do this yourself.

Depending on the size, $320 is more than half the price of a new engine. I think at the very least you need some guarentee that they are going to fix the problem for that kinda money.

Last edited by Mr Chips; 12-13-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote