Side By Side Refrig Won't Shut Off - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
Jack of all Trades

Rewards Points: 77

side by side refrig won't shut off

Hey Folks,
I have a bit of a strange predicament here...I have a refrigerator that won't shut off. I'm lead to believe it's not as simple as "clean the coils out" since I pulled the fridge away from the wall sunday to install an ice maker water line. Now I don't think one has anything to do with the other (or it very well may) more so than it's just a coincidence. I had the refrig pulled out for a few hours while I ran and got my water line and installed it. I'm a home re-modeler, electrician and auto mech by trade but not overly familiar with the exact inner workings of a refrig. I know how refrigeration works, etc. I know this particular refrig has defrost options, etc. that run off a timer and or thermostat.

Basically the unit has been running non-stop since about Sunday night. It is not Tuesday morning. The fridge and freezer seem to be staying cold BUT I did notice one of my ice cream bars were not as frozen as they usually are. I've tried turning the thermostat up and down with no luck. It keeps running unless I turn it off.

Could something just be frozen or covered in frost? This is a frost-free unit. Kenmore model 363.9510586

Thanks for any input. Just to be 100% sure, I'm going to vac out the coils now to eliminate that scenario.

Advertisement

lifestooshort81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 564

Just a guess, but I think the coil is frozen solid. Unplug the frig for a few hours so it can defrost. I had a similar problem with a frost free freezer that was cold but not cold enough. Turns out the coil was frozen in a block of frost.

Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Jack of all Trades

Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
Just a guess, but I think the coil is frozen solid. Unplug the frig for a few hours so it can defrost. I had a similar problem with a frost free freezer that was cold but not cold enough. Turns out the coil was frozen in a block of frost.
From my other research I would agree. I tried putting the refrig into defrost mode. The timer doesn't seem to be turning so maybe the timer is dead? However when I manually clicked the timer into defrost, the compressor shut off as it should and it stayed in defrost for at least 30 minutes. Does this sound normal? I didn't have any longer to wait around to see if it was going to turn back on so I manually clicked the defrost timer on. IF the heater was working, the coil SHOULD have defrosted right? I'll have to run a defrost cycle manually tonight when I get home and see if there is any power draw from the heater. (i'll put an ammeter on the refrig wiring)

Any other suggestions are much appreciated!
Al
lifestooshort81 is offline   Reply With Quote