Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #1

Share |

shocking alarm clock

I have a bit of an odd request...

I think I have gotten into the habit of hitting the snooze button on my alarm clock in my sleep. Naturally, being savvy with a soldering iron, my solution is to construct an apparatus to deliver a nonlethal shock to me whenever I try to hit the snooze button. The problem is I'm not sure what the best voltage is to get the job done. Too high and I risk injury/death, too low and there will be no effect. So before I commence with lengthy trial and error, I thought I'd see if anyone had any knowledge in this area.

Ideally I'd like the shock to be sufficient to cause pain, but not so large that the pain is excruciating or risk injury. I had thought to achieve the voltage by putting a number of 6v or 9v batteries in series. I assume battery current will be appropriate, but if not feel free to suggest something else.

Thanks!

Execut1ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #2

shocking alarm clock

Why stop at shocking, might as well put some razor blades around snooze button too.

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #3

shocking alarm clock

sir you have entirely missed the point of my post. let me reiterate: I WANT TO AVOID INJURY
Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #4

shocking alarm clock

In the spirit of cooperation:

Good Morning Sing N Shock alarm clock.
When the user presses the aluminium-coated snooze button on the top of the clock, harmless micro-volts of electric current are emitted to jolt them into life.
Attached Thumbnails
shocking alarm clock-article-0-16fd6a7c000005dc-494_634x246.jpg  

Last edited by hammerlane; 04-15-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
bbo

shocking alarm clock

when I was younger and needed extra incentive to get up, I'd just move the alarm clock to the other side of the room, necessitating getting out of bed to shut it off.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bbo For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (04-15-2013), davido30093 (04-16-2013), r0ckstarr (04-17-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #6

shocking alarm clock

that is a possibility, but I do not favor it as it would increase the amount of time that the alarm is going off, potentially waking up my wife
Old 04-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
bbo

shocking alarm clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Execut1ve View Post
that is a possibility, but I do not favor it as it would increase the amount of time that the alarm is going off, potentially waking up my wife
you should also look into other factors to make sure you get a good sleep. less stimulation before bed, quieter/darker sleep area, etc.

on a funny note, a cattle prod for the wife to poke you with should you become lax in your duties to turn off the alarm would be great training and more incentive to jump out of bed.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #8

shocking alarm clock

Quote:
If waking up your wife with the alarm is a problem, then your problem is much bigger than anything we can solve here.

Move the clock so that you can't reach the snooze button and your wake up problem is solved. The electric shock solution is silly. Your other problems are for a different forum.
davido30093 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davido30093 For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (04-16-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #9
Bill Kearney

shocking alarm clock

Right, so you want to rig up a half-ass way to give yourself a heart attack in the morning. Bad idea.

Consider getting an alarm clock that has a gradual light feature. These work a lot better at waking us, without a snooze. The idea being it brings the light up gradually with some background nature sounds. Then it either turns on the radio or the buzzer. Most of the time the light/background sounds are enough. This is the current model like the one we got a while ago:
http://www.hammacher.com/Product/81819

(ignore the 'aromatherapy' part, it's junk)
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:57 AM   #10

shocking alarm clock

Quote:
I cannot help you design the clock you want, but I too sometimes have the hardest time waking up in the morning. I've slept right through the alarm many times, even with it sitting 2ft from my head.

I can also understand not wanting to wake someone up. Here's how I use that to my advantage.

I set my alarm clock for the time I want to wake up.

I have a computer across the house in another room. I use a website called Online Clock, and set it to 15mins after my other alarm. Then I turn the speakers full blast.

This means that once my first alarm goes off, I have 15mins to get up and go turn off the other alarm, or face the wrath of my girlfriend for waking her up so early. Fear has not failed me yet.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 04-17-2013 at 04:59 AM.
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #11

shocking alarm clock

Wouldn't that just mentally condition you to skip the snooze and turn off the alarm completely, potentially leading you to just fall back asleep without being re-awakened in 10 minutes.

If you want to tinker you could just disable the snooze button and get the same effect without the shock.

Are you sure this isn't for a practical joke on someone else?
dftc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #12

shocking alarm clock

Quote:
Yes that is an issue for another forum
Old 04-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #13

shocking alarm clock

Use a windup Big Ben Alarm clock set out of reach of the bed as the second alarm. Your motivation will be to get up and shut the Big Ben off, before the alarm sounds.
Added Benefit, it still will get you up during a power failure.

Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote