Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Series of popping sounds as Refrigerator turns off

My Frigidaire refrigerator is about 2yrs old.

For the last three months we have noticed a series of popping sounds as the unit periodically cycles off.

The popping sounds start off very loud ... with each subsequent pop being slightly lower ... until it tapers to a murmur (around 8 to 10 pops).

The popping sound comes from the bottom of the unit ... thats where the condenser sits. The popping can also be described as a knocking sound (i will try to record it and post it).

One strange twist - This popping sound started when winter set in here (Southeast part of the US). About a week ago we had unusually warm weather for a couple of days and that sound stopped during that period. During winters we keep our central-heat at 66F ... but on those two warm days the indoor temp had spiked up to around 72F. Perhaps thats a clue ?

The condenser is still under warranty ... so I called Frigidaire. They have no live person to answer the phones ... so I called one of their repair shops in town. But I was reluctant to have someone show up and have to hang around for a couple of hours to catch it in the act.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vulcanman; 02-29-2008 at 04:40 PM.
vulcanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
Jack of Some Trades

Series of popping sounds as Refrigerator turns off

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanman View Post
My Frigidaire refrigerator is about 2yrs old.

About a week ago we had unusually warm weather for a couple of days and that sound stopped during that period. During winters we keep our central-heat at 66 C ... but on those two warm days the indoor temp had spiked up to around 72C. Perhaps thats a clue ?.
isn't 66C like 150F ? Maybe the noise you hear is the plastic melting!
Wood Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote