Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Sears Refrigerator not cooling

The refridgerator side of my side-by-side is getting hot or will not cool. the freezer side is working fine. I have a Sears Model: 10653569201. I have troubleshooted to the following:

Turned unit off and unpluged to reset, then plugged back in and turned back on. Same result.

Found that the Diffuser keeps shutting and staying shut. Manually opened after disconnecting power. Reconnected power and it shut again.

Tested the thermistor resistance (0 when *heated* and about 400-500 when at room temp). Thermistor is $8.00

Removed the thermistor and applied a short to controller leads (signalling a hot temp based on above test results). Diffuser shut again.

My guess is the diffuser doesn't open because it is bad or the controller is going out. How can I be sure before I order parts. Diffuser is $75.00, Controller is $215.00.

I have temporarilly unpluged the diffuser and manually opened the vents until I can get this resolved.

additional tests: Diffuser resistance- bottom leads= 6000 (connects to orange with black trace and black leads), all other combinations= infinity or very high.

Voltage from controllerwires (3 total):
orange black trace and black=120vac yellow and red trace to black=60vac orange black to yellow red=0

Last edited by gdbudd; 04-25-2010 at 09:01 AM. Reason: additional info
gdbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #2

Replaced a lot of those diffusers,before retiring from Sears Repair,now A&E. Normally, the drive gear breaks,in the diffuser.The new one is supposed to be redsigned,to take care of this problem. Hope this helps. d scott
d scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #3

Thanks...
Old 07-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #4

yes, it was the diffuser.