Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Sears belt drive 1/2 hp garage door opener

I picked up one of these one sale, $169. Overall I am impressed. Very quiet and smoth. Install was annoying but easy.

I noticed Sears only provided 2 bolts (left and right) for the motor to be mounted. I put on 4. But, when I engage the motor, the rail (which runs from motor to head board) seems to want to move a little up and down. So I'm wondering if it needs to only have one bolt on each left/right side to allow the entire motor to pivot?? I put the extras there which basically force the motor to stay level.

pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
Res Ipsa Loquitur

I think this might be a Chamberlain? I just installed mine a few months ago- In my case basically the motor hangs from 2 angle straps but does not need to be solidly mounted although I did think about that too. Some flex might be expected- it has been operating well so far. The force is directed forward and back along the rail so the motor really does "float" fine pivoting from the front bracket without additional support. My door is 7x16 too!

Old 02-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #3

It looks exactly like a Chamberlain.

I guess I'll just take 2 of the bolts out so there's only one per side, and see how it goes.
pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #4

does a garbage disposal need to be on its own, or can it be on the same circit as the outlets
dblturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #5

DB,
opener can be on the same circuit. What kind of metal hangers did you use to mount the opener? If it's the thin metal strapping that sears usually includes, throw it out and get a piece of the angle iron with the holes in it that is normally used to hold up the rear end of your door rails. Much stiffer. Mount a piece on the ceiling that will span across two joists or truss bottom chords. Cut two pieces for vertical hangs between the ceiling and opener. Cut one more piece to form roughly a 45 degree angle between one vertical hang and the ceiling piece. This triangulates the assembly and makes if very ridgid.
Mike Hawkins
Attached Thumbnails
Sears belt drive 1/2 hp garage door opener-img_5179-1.jpg  
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote