Samsung Refrigerator - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Samsung Refrigerator

I have a Samsung RF267 refrigerator (french door, bottom freezer) that I bought a few years ago. I have a problem with water pooling at the bottom of the fridge over time, right below the deli tray. I have searched and found others with this problem, but no fix.

After removing all trays and the cover to the condenser coils, it appears to be a problem with the drain at the bottom of the condenser area. There is a little black "trough" that appears to collect water from the condenser area (and I assume it feeds it to a drip tray somewhere?).

My questions are:

1. How do I investigate whether the drain tube to the drain pan is clogged or frozen? I don't see any way to access these areas, and I don't even know where the drain pan is. I'd like to be able to check the drain pan to see if any water is in it.
2. Should I just try pouring some hot water down the drain trough to see what happens? If it's frozen this should work, but if it's clogged I'm probably out of luck?

Thanks in advance.....

Advertisement

chewbakarox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,070

Samsung Refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakarox View Post

After removing all trays and the cover to the condenser coils, it appears to be a problem with the drain at the bottom of the condenser area. There is a little black "trough" that appears to collect water from the condenser area (and I assume it feeds it to a drip tray somewhere?)
My questions are:

1. How do I investigate whether the drain tube to the drain pan is clogged or frozen? I don't see any way to access these areas, and I don't even know where the drain pan is. I'd like to be able to check the drain pan to see if any water is in it.
2. Should I just try pouring some hot water down the drain trough to see what happens? If it's frozen this should work, but if it's clogged I'm probably out of

Thanks in advance.....
that would be your evaporator coil not your condenser coil. Yes water will run into that trough and down a tube into the defrost pan.
Try pouring hot water down it it is probably just frozen. If it is clogged then try to blow it out with an aiar compressor

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #3

Samsung Refrigerator

Hardwareman - Thanks for the input. Do you know if there is a way for me to inspect the drip pan to see if there is any water in it? I checked underneath the fridge and couldn't find anything.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,070

Samsung Refrigerator

couldn't see any what? water or a pan? probably won't see any water as it usually evaporates in a matter of hours because of the heat and fan blowing
Old 06-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #5

Samsung Refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
couldn't see any what? water or a pan? probably won't see any water as it usually evaporates in a matter of hours because of the heat and fan blowing
I just want to be able to access the pan to check things out. Do you know exactly where it is located on this Samsung model?

Also, if I do use a compressor to blow air down the trough, do I need to worry about damaging anything (e.g., tube becomes disconnected or breaks)? Thanks again.