Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing a dishwasher - what extra parts do I need to purchase?

I am about to replace an old dishwasher with a new one. From the details about the new one on the website, it says that a drain hose is included but no fill hose or power cord. Can I just reuse the old fill hose and power cord once I remove the old dishwasher? Maybe getting a new fill hose would be prudent but I would think the power cord would be fine to use again, right? Is there anything else I would need to purchase in preparation for this job?

Also, I am curious as to why NONE of the dishwashers I looked at, regardless of price, included a power cord. WHY IS THAT? I would think a simple power cord would be included without much of a problem or expense to the manufacturer. What is up with this?? It is like buying a car with no battery already installed and you have to put one in yourself. I would love to know the rationale behind this!
Eagle One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #2

A lot of dishwashers, around here anyways, are hardwired. You don't use a power cord.

A new water supply line may not be a bad idea.
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AandPDan For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

most dishwashers are hardwired so no power cord required. Also your old dishwasher was probably connected to the house water supply with copper tubing. I always cut the copper and put on a flex stainless line, makes hooking up the new dishwashers a whole lot easier. If your new dishwasher is a Whirlpool family you will need a special fitting to hook to the water valve as they now use a hose fitting type thread on the valve.
oh'mike (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #4

Cut the electric power and water off, pull it out and tip it face down and you'll be able to see better what you may need extra in the way of hoses, clamps, supply lines etc. I don't know of any two made alike as far as hook ups.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #5

Thanks for all the info!
Eagle One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #6

Usually dishwashers are hardwired so they do not come with power cords, other than that a universal supply line kit is pretty much the only thing needed. Always a good idea to replace the supply line if the old one has been sitting there for a few years.
xXXNotMVAMXXx is offline   Reply With Quote