Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #1

Share |

Repair or Replace????

I have a 25 + year old Jenn-Air grill/range. I like the features and most of the performance of this range. However, the door hinges are broken (I am in the process of replacing them with the help of this forum), but there are other things wrong with this range. The Self-Cleaning locking mechanism has to be replaced, and the top elements connections are a bit shaky and may have to be replaced too.

We have looked at the new ranges, and quite frankly, I am not impressed with the quality --- or the features. The overall quality seems to be quite flimsy. Besides that, to get anything with features that our present stove has would cost more than I think I should pay.

Another consideration is that we plan to completely renovate our kitchen, if not this year, most certainly the next one. The other appliances will be replaced at that time.

The remaining consideration is that we are in our seventies with all that entails.

I can do the repairs myself. When done it would cost a couple of hundred dollars, and I would still have a 25+year old stove.

So, what would you do? What's the feeling out there. I guess I want to be convinced to go one way or the other.

Looking forward to any input about this.

Thanks in advance.
amen2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
Experienced

Repair or Replace????

Start laying out that new kitchen, but new appliances and then you will have one of the big expenses out of the way.

Fixing it will extend its life, if something else doesn't fail, but that couple of hundred would buy a new range hood or upgrade from conventional to convection oven.

Just my 2 cents

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackofall1 For This Useful Post:
MBatson (02-05-2011)