Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #1

Share |

Repair bad PVC union

On our garden irrigation system we had to sand down an old PVC pipe, which had swollen from age, to accept a new union, but we now have a leak at that new union. We used the purple solvent and PVC cement recommended and all other unions are fine. There's not enough room to cut it out, so we have to find a way to fix that leak. Any ideas? It's in the pipe coming out of the pump, so there's up to 60 pounds of pressure on it.

montela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #2

Repair bad PVC union

Montela , I have worked with PVC for over 20 years. Mine needs to be airtight not watertight but I rarely try to reseal a joint unless I can separate it before the bond has set. On a rare occaision you can roll glue into that joint with a dabber. I have also read here about applying glue and sucking it into the leaky joint with a wet dry vac on the other end of the joint to attempt to fix a leak.

Best of luck but don`t trust it if it could cause a flood.

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Repair bad PVC union

Montela, I hate to doubt you, but are you sure this pipe is PVC? I also have worked with PVC and other thermo-plastic piping over a 20 year period and have never seen PVC swell, neither from age nor pressure. Is there a possibility that your piping is poly-butylene? On to a possible fix-how is the present piping connected at the pump? IF it is screwed into the pump in any manner then you might be able to go a short distance from the pump, remove all of the piping starting at the pump to this point and replace say, a couple of feet of piping at the most. Again, this is one of those post that a picture would certainly help. I'm trying to help, not bash. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #4

Repair bad PVC union

dig it out, cut it, and install a new section of pipe. that is ONLY way to really fix it. teh pipe did not swell from age, it swoll from not being emptied and freezing, most likely.

home wiring los angeles
devidmike is offline   Reply With Quote