Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing Microwave.

I have a G E Spacemaker Microwave which I am trying to remove from it's under-the-cabinent position. I have removed the 4 screws which attach the unit to the bottom of the cabinent. The only thing holding the unit in place is the rear mounting plate. According to my installation manual, I should be able to tilt the front of the unit down and slide it out. I have tried this as well as tilting the front up and pulling. I have also tried pulling the unit straight out. Nothing seems to work. I would appreciate any advice from anyone on how to remove this unit. Thanks.

rlddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

Removing Microwave.

Many of these "under the counter" type units, which have the built-in vent fan, require you to remove the exhaust cover and you may find two long screws there which are attached to the back wall mount. This will allow you to lower the front of the unit just a bit, but they are still attached. I learned the hard way. David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Removing Microwave.

if you don't have an external exhaust and this unit was installed correctly-it's just stuck. assuming it's not real old and has the two long bolts behind the top grille. tilt it forward[protect the cooktop surface-use two people-heavy end is on right] and force down and up-off that rear lip. it's just a tight fit due to the plate being a little high so that cabinet is hindering you being able to tilt it far enough down to lift off lip.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Do it right.

Rewards Points: 75

Removing Microwave.

I'm not sure if you figured it out yet or not but i'll post anyways, you need to remove the upper grill above the microwave door, there are 2 small screws holding it on, inside on the left and right there are metal rods with a flat head notched in them, loosen these up and the microwave will swing down, then just lift the microwave off its swing brackets on the bottom and your done.
SubSailor is offline   Reply With Quote