Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #1

Share |

Removing/installing refrigerator water lines

Hi

I have had a fridge sitting in a garage for a a year and a half that is in great shape. I am about to hook it up and have thoroughly cleaned out the inside. However, I am worried about installing the water lines because I am afraid they might have mold growth inside them from sitting through 6 seasons or so, but they look clean on the outside and I can't see on the inside.

Should I remove and replace all of them or am I being paranoid?

If I am not, how do I remove the lines that are attached to the fridge and find replacements? As I look at the back of the fridge, there are 3 small-diameter plastic hoses coming out of the top of the back of the fridge, two on the left and 1 on the right. They seem like proprietary stiff-plastic hoses that com out of the back of the fridge, unlike the flexible ones that came with my fridge waterline kit. And they also appear to connect inside the fridge somewhere. Is it required that I remove the back of the fridge to remove these lines?

Is it possible to simply clean these lines?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Removing/installing refrigerator water lines-2013-01-28_18-11-01_798.jpg   Removing/installing refrigerator water lines-2013-01-28_18-11-20_222.jpg  

Last edited by Bradeno; 01-28-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Bradeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #2

No model or make so everone will have to guess on this one.
More then likly there just drain lines for when it defrost the water can run down to the pan and evaperate.
No need to change them.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #3

Sorry!

Post fixed!

Last edited by Bradeno; 01-28-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

those are water lines that run to the filter, to the ice maker and to the dispenser. I would be very hesitant to hook it up to water and use it after 6 years. If you are to do this right you are looking at a very large amount of time and money. Not only would you need to change the lines but also the reservoir, not sure it would be worth it.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #5

Can't I remove the lines, soak them in white vinegar or h2o2 and call it good? Could I just dump white vinegar or h2o2 down the lines without removing them? That is how catheters are cleaned. What else do I have to do to this? It has only actually been sitting unused in the garage for maybe 2 years, not 6.

Also, what is the reservoir? Is that the curvy tube at the bottom of the inside of the fridge? Can that be cleaned? Or disconnected and then cleaned?

I don't mind putting in the time to do it as it is a really nice fridge, I just want to know if it can be done and how to do it right.

Last edited by Bradeno; 01-28-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

yes you can do it. I would remove every line on the refrig and find a way to clean them if you want to invest the time. But I could not tell you the best way to clean and sanitize them so they are safe to carry water.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #7

Not seeing the point of doing it at all.
There's been no water sitting in them, it's an open drain line.
Look under the fridge in the front and remove the cover. There should be a tray under there that catches the drain water. That may need cleaning.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Not seeing the point of doing it at all.
There's been no water sitting in them, it's an open drain line.
Look under the fridge in the front and remove the cover. There should be a tray under there that catches the drain water. That may need cleaning.
what are you talking about? those lines carry water to the icemaker and water dispenser, they have nothing to do with the drain.