Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #1

Share |

Removing Garbage Dispsoal

While trying to remove an old garbage disposal, the old disposal completely broke off, rusted out I guess, while I was trying to remove the unit from the sink, the initial step, where the unit is connected by the rubber gasket. The part I need to loosen will not budge and now it is just spinning when I try to rotate it. I am not sure what to try to loosen it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
mom24bz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Removing Garbage Dispsoal

IF you are referring to the "basket" part of the disposer, which fits into the sink itself, this is a common problem on some units I have replaced. There probably is a large (3 1/2"-4") nut on the bottom of the basket which is frozen on, and will neither loosen nor tighten. This nut is usually made of a cheap cast aluminum and can be cut off. I have tools to hold the basket and to fit these nuts and very often find the nut frozen on so tight I have to cut the nut. 1) Try a pair of diagonal/side cutting pliers if you have them, cut away little pieces at one spot until you can spread the nut/ring. 2) You can use a sharp cold/chisel to split this nut, being careful not to damage the hole in the sink. I'm sure you are not going to use the old basket, so don't worry about damages there. Once you have the nut off, everything else should come right off. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote