Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #1

Share |

refrigerators

does anyone make a frig without an ice maker and water? side by side or bottom freezer.

oceanvillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

refrigerators

yes. I don't know of any frig with a bottom freezer that has a water and ice dispenser due to the ice being on the bottom side of the unit.

and yes, there are side by side units without water and ice dispensers in the door. They seem to be in the minority but there are some out there.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/KitchenA...&skuId=1073797

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #3

refrigerators

I was looking specifically at LG models yesterday, approx 23 ft size in both side by side and bottom mount. They make a bottom mount with a removable ice bucket which just sits on top of the left side of the freezer drawer, in the freezer, and one model which has only a very slim profile front left door water dispenser, recessed only an inch if that leaving the inside of the doors for full capacity...very nice when you need to maximize your space and if you still wanted water.
The ice cube dispenser in the basic model had several cube size settings so I assume you could also simply shut it off and remove the tray entirely.
FYI I have a 12 year old side by side22 ft Frigidaire FRS20ZRG which I used for comparison and only 33 inches of width. I cannot fit a larger wider counter depth fridge. While it still cools, the magnets on the door are rotten, the water dispenser has rusted from inside out, the ice bucket throat jams and the crisper has weak drawers. Isee virtually no improvemnt in this common design today.
That same design is now also sold as a Kenmore, Electrolux and Frigidaire Gallery. The crisper trays have thin weak side rails which are not re-enforced, so with very little weight they crack. The new replacement drawers are $80 and no different, thin white plastic. Newer models seem to be using lexan for drawers.
We also looked at the width of the left side freezer shelves, which on many fridges wont hold a box of burgers. The LG is superb in these features, the crispers roll out on bearings and have a stopper so they cant tilt, and the sides of the crisper drawer have strong rails with cross ribs for support.
Hope that helps. Let me know what you discover
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

refrigerators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist1961 View Post
I was looking specifically at LG models yesterday, approx 23 ft size in both side by side and bottom mount. They make a bottom mount with a removable ice bucket which just sits on top of the left side of the freezer drawer, in the freezer, and one model which has only a very slim profile front left r
after I posted, I was looking around a bit more and did see a bottom freezer with a water and ice dispenser. Seems like they are in the minority though for that type of arrangement.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #5

Unhappy

refrigerators

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanvillage View Post
does anyone make a frig without an ice maker and water? side by side or bottom freezer.
I would have liked to have found one without an icemaker, too. Seems that they assume evrybody wants one. I would rather have a little more freezer space.
Tudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #6

refrigerators

Probably more apt to find one at a locally owned appliance store, which is where I prefer to shop anyway, than at the big boxes. My experiences have been that family owned stores, in general anyway, understand that some of us do not care for all of the bells and whistles.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote