Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2012, 01:57 AM   #1

Share |

refrigerator in unheated garage

I have just purchased a refrigerator/freezer for my garage. The garage is largely unheated and it gets uncomfortably cold during winter. I did not think this through before purchasing the fridge, a GE 18cuft entry-level model I got at the scratch'n'dent store for a little over $200.

The instructions say not to install it where the temperature will be below 60F or "the refrigerator will not run often enough" to maintain proper temperature. Does this mean the refrigerant in the coil loop may freeze when the compressor runs?

I have been planning to heat the garage this winter anyway but I don't know if I want to spend enough on electricity to keep it at 60F all the time.

jeffsw6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:00 AM   #2

No, it means just what it says, it's not going to run at all if it's to cold in the garage.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:27 AM   #3

I have had a frige in my unheated garage for 16 years now. I leave it plugged in all the time. When the weather gets cold it does not turn on as it is not needed. Winters here can get as low as -20F. Interesting thing is, aside from water bottles I have never had anything freeze durring the real cold part of winter in the frige. Unit starts right back up in the spring when the weather gets nice again.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danpik For This Useful Post:
jeffsw6 (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

run into this problem all the time. The cold temps will not harm your refrig at all. What will happen is your freezer will not freeze because the unit will not run enough, also if it gets really cold in your garage it may freeze things in your refrig. section. If you run the heat enough to keep your garage above 40 degrees everything will work as it should.
jeffsw6 (10-31-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #5

Your refrigerator gets it "cold" from the freezer. (except for some higher end models) If the freezer doesn't need to run as often it's possible the refrigerator will not get as cold as it should. I keep a small refrigerator in my garage year round and it is just fine...but it doesn't have a freezer. It freezes water during the 100+ degree summer we just had. Fortunately it's for beer only.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #6

I always thought a refrigerator worked in reverse in freezing conditions like a heat pump. There used to be soda vending machines outside of service stations where I lived growing up and the soda never froze no matter how cold it got outside.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote