Refrigerator Tripping GFI, Is It Safe? - Appliances - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Refrigerator Tripping GFI, is it safe?


Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
all major appliance manufacturers recommend NOT plugging refrigerators into GFCI outlets.
That statement is not true.
I just pulled my new refrigerator manual, and all it states is that the outlet be, "properly grounded".
No mention that it has to be put in a GFI outlet and no admonition to keep it away.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (12-19-2010)
Old 12-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #17
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Refrigerator Tripping GFI, is it safe?


What an interesting thread! Po)

Let's all play nice so no mean ol' moderator comes along and locks it!
Not to say anyone has said anything untoward yet, but I'm curious to see where this goes.

DM
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Refrigerator Tripping GFI, is it safe?


I'd just like a source from a universal statement. That's all I'm saying.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #19
Electrical Contractor
 
jbfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 5,957
Rewards Points: 2,310
Default

Refrigerator Tripping GFI, is it safe?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
OK, sorry, but an old fridge, plugged into a standard outlet has been just fine for decades....
How is that bad advice?

DM
Codes change, and current code requires every receptacle in a garage to be gfci protected.
__________________
Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late. "Jimmy Buffett"
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #20
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Refrigerator Tripping GFI, is it safe?


Yes, I'm sure you may be correct, every NEW garage must have GFCIs.
However, my GRANDFATHER said it may not matter in this case.... -=chuckle=-
So...impius, is there an standard outlet in your garage? Or did you run a cord into the house?
impius' question was simply if it was a safe machine to be around his family or not because of the gfci tripping, let's not lose sight of that.

DM
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Refrigerator Tripping GFI, is it safe?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Yes, I'm sure you may be correct, every NEW garage must have GFCIs.
However, my GRANDFATHER said it may not matter in this case.... -=chuckle=-
So...impius, is there an standard outlet in your garage? Or did you run a cord into the house?
impius' question was simply if it was a safe machine to be around his family or not because of the gfci tripping, let's not lose sight of that.

DM
He would need to know if the wiring in the house had any conceptual issues.
Easy to check with a low cost device.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #22
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Refrigerator Tripping GFI, is it safe?


Being it's an older fridge, it likely COULD be starting down the road to the scrapyard, but if it works in a standard outlet, it's safe enough to use.
Your normal breaker or fuse will deal with any problems it may have. That's all I'm saying. That was basically his question.

DM
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Refrigerator Tripping GFI, is it safe?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Being it's an older fridge, it likely COULD be starting down the road to the scrapyard, but if it works in a standard outlet, it's safe enough to use.
Your normal breaker or fuse will deal with any problems it may have. That's all I'm saying. That was basically his question.

DM
The OP needs to troubleshoot the issue. It was the Xmas lights that started the problem. Before that, the unit was plugged in and was fine. Now it's not. I would change the GFI and plug the unit in again. No lights. See the results.
Other GFI issue, I would check the wiring.
While we can speculate until ........
We can't do the legwork at the house.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #24
#1 HAWKEYE FAN
 
hardwareman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,574
Rewards Points: 1,058
Default

Refrigerator Tripping GFI, is it safe?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
That statement is not true.
I just pulled my new refrigerator manual, and all it states is that the outlet be, "properly grounded".
No mention that it has to be put in a GFI outlet and no admonition to keep it away.
Ron
I knew this thread would get a few people going.
I'm sure your owners manual will not tell you to not plug it into a GFCI outlet, I believe they call that covering your ass. but I'v been doing this long enough and I've talked to enough factory engineers as well as tech support to know they do not recommend you do it, and I will leave it at that
hardwareman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #25
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Refrigerator Tripping GFI, is it safe?


Thanks for all the responses...Seems like this is a highly contested subject.

I dont think it is a problem with the GFI, as I have tried it now in 4 different GFI outlets using dropchords and all of them trip instantly. Also, the house is only 1 year old and everything else seems to work perfectly.

I currently have it plugged into my extra plugin for the garage door opener (standard -non gfi) and it is working with no problems. I have opened and closed the fridge several times and have lived to tell the tale. I may end up having an electrician come to check to make sure there is no danger to the kids, I just hate to do that since the fridge is probably only worth $50.
I would never have even questioned the saftey had I never plugged into the GFI outlet.

Thanks again all, I would love to hear any other thoughts.
impius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:05 AM   #26
Member
 
ccarlisle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,889
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Refrigerator Tripping GFI, is it safe?


Amen to that hardwareman...this type of squabbling is typical in your exited States where, on one hand, you have time-tested, common-sense arguments (in this case, don't use a GFCI+fridge combination) and on the other, you have people mired in jurisidictional issues (NEC says this, IRC says that, my electrican says white, my dad says black ) - and in the middle, indecisive people.

Populations have been conditioned so that the two will never meet; so what you get is 30+response threads to a simple question and - in some similar situations - this process mean a lot of money made by lawyers arguing the pros and cons - ad infinitum - on your and my nickel with a slim chance of resolution that would affect all of us. Instead of looking at the facts, logic is excluded and rules dreamt up to cover every eventuality.

Some would say this is the "dumbing down" of the population; are we all really trying just to be smarter than a fifth-grader?
__________________
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ccarlisle For This Useful Post:
hardwareman (12-20-2010)
Old 12-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #27
Citrix & Cisco Ops
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 87
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Refrigerator Tripping GFI, is it safe?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Code requires all 120 volt receptacles in a commerical kitchen to be gfci protect.
I'm glad I caught this... sorry in advance for hijacking thread

Last time I checked (which was not recently,) just countertop receptacles have to be GFCI in a residential kitchen. So does what you say apply to residential kitchens too?

Main reason I ask is because I just had an electrician come out to update all my receptacles from 2-prong. He installed a plain 120v/15a receptacle for my fridge.

I'm also adding receptacle to a junction box inside one of my cabinets, and am curious as to whether I need GFCI (assuming yes.)

Last edited by RedHelix; 12-20-2010 at 11:36 AM.
RedHelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #28
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Refrigerator Tripping GFI, is it safe?


Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHelix View Post
I'm glad I caught this... sorry in advance for hijacking thread
Gee Red, I think your questions are pertinent to this thread and in no way hijack it. Po)

DM
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Albany, GA
Posts: 295
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Refrigerator Tripping GFI, is it safe?


Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHelix View Post
I'm glad I caught this... sorry in advance for hijacking thread

Last time I checked (which was not recently,) just countertop receptacles have to be GFCI in a residential kitchen. So does what you say apply to residential kitchens too?

Main reason I ask is because I just had an electrician come out to update all my receptacles from ungrounded 2-prong. He installed a plain 120v/15a receptacle for my fridge.

I'm also doing a receptacle inside one of my cabinets, and am curious as to whether I need GFCI (assuming yes.)

The commercial kitchen GFCI requirement does not apply to residential installation. There is no requirement that a residential refrigerator be connected to a GFCI. A GFCI requirement may come into play depending on where the refrigerator is located, but that has to do with location of the receptacle and nothing to do with the appliance itself.

If the fridge in question is located in a garage, code requires the receptacle be GFCI-protected because the garage is a wet/damp location. Perhaps I missed it in the thread, but I see the OP has tried several different GFCI receptacles and keeps getting a trip. I'm assuming these are GFCI receptacles, not standard receptacles wired to a GFCI breaker. That may (or may not) make a difference.

All of that being said, I generally dislike the idea of placing a fridge or freezer on a GFCI. I've seen them nuisance trip many times and leave a homeowner with a box of rotting food. Also, if your fridge receptacle is behind the appliance, resetting the GFCI can be a pain. The notion that commercial kitchens get along fine with GFCI-protected refrigerators is offset by the fact that in a commercial kitchen, a tripped GFCI is much more likely to be noticed quickly than in a residential environment where there homeowner may not even be home for several days.

Regarding the in-cabinet receptacle, what is the intended load for this device? Depending on what you are doing, you may need a new circuit instead of tapping into an existing branch.
clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #30
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Refrigerator Tripping GFI, is it safe?


Man, I'm really enjoying his thread. Po) Mucho bueno info...
Red: So many variables are involved too, such as whether the cabinet outlet will be within "X" amount of distance from a water source, right guys? Being as this is a kitchen (right? kitchen?) it should be 20 amps, not 15, right?
MY newly wired kitchen required 20 amp, 2 separate circuits minimum and GFCIs on each side of the sink to pass inspection. This made MY fridge both on a GFCI protected circuit as well as being 20 amps. No problems.... yet..... 5 yr. old fridge..... we'll see, I guess.

DM

Advertisement

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it safe to plug in this flourescent fixture? doofalot Electrical 2 08-16-2008 02:27 PM
Freestanding/portable safe home heaters?? sugarmama HVAC 5 10-30-2007 09:23 PM
safe way to add extension to power cord sil Electrical 7 10-18-2007 10:58 PM
Help Me.....installing Wall Safe shaw Carpentry 7 10-01-2006 05:50 PM
Gun Safe vs. Floor Joists allen1466 Building & Construction 9 03-03-2006 09:16 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts