Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Refrigerator not working

I have this under-counter Sub-Zero that I moved from one house to another. It was working just fine when I took it out of service but it has not been put back in service for about 3 years. I was stored inside the house so it was never subjected to extreems. I plugged it in and although the light comes on and I have it turned up to the coldest, the compressor does not turn on.

I can see that after sitting so long that maybe the refrigerant leaked out. If thatís the case would that keep the compressor from turning on or might there be another/additional problem?

coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Refrigerator not working

does a fan run ??? look for a switch/breaker maybe

comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #3

Refrigerator not working

No the fan does not run but I assumed it wouldn't if the compressor didn't turn on. I've been looking for a breaker but so far have not found one.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Refrigerator not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
No the fan does not run but I assumed it wouldn't if the compressor didn't turn on. I've been looking for a breaker but so far have not found one.
good luck
comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Refrigerator not working

"No the fan does not run but I assumed it wouldn't if the compressor didn't turn on. I've been looking for a breaker but so far have not found one."

Stop looking for a breaker. Fridges don't have fuses.

What they do have are defrost timers. Once every 8 to 20 hours, the defrost timer in your fridge will shut off both the compressor and the evaporator fan and turn on a small heater that melts the frost off your evaporator coils. That's how frost free fridges work...they defrost themselves automatically with a small heater.

Sooooo.....
If neither the compressor nor the evaporator fan are running, then...
...it's almost certainly your defrost timer. It's stuck in defrost mode.

Defrost timers have small motors in them. So small that a bit of friction and they stop running. Unfortunately, they are the "brains" of the fridge, so until they start running again, the fridge just sits there in a coma.

What you need to do is:

1. find out where the defrost timer is on your fridge

2. look for a shaft on it that's designed to be turned only in one direction (cuz you'll wreck the defrost timer by turning that shaft backward).

3. When you turn that shaft, the timer will advance. You have to turn it enough to get the defrost timer back into the "run" mode, and that may require more than a full 360 degree rotation of that shaft. Then your fridge will spring to life as though nothing was ever wrong.

And, if it's not too expensive, you might want to replace the defrost timer, but I'd see how reliable it is once it starts working again.

Here, I wrote up a post on how frost free fridges work, and if you're interested, I can e-mail it to you. Or, I can post it here. I don't wanna do that without being asked because I think that some of the people in here are getting a little upset with my long posts anyhow.

Also, if turning the defrost timer's output shaft doesn't bring the fridge back to life, you probably need a new defrost timer.

It won't be the fridge's starting relay cuz other wise the fan would work. Normally, a fridge's compressor and evaporator fan will both come on together and go off together. So unless you have two seperate and unrelated problems keeping them both off together, it's yer defrost timer.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 06-18-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #6

Refrigerator not working

Wow, that's great info, thanks! I'll give it a good look and find that defrost timer.