||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
|07-13-2011, 11:42 AM||#1|
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 121Rewards Points: 89
Refrigerator Gasket Repair
How do I go about replacing the gasket around the refrigerator door? I have an older refrig with some tears in the gasket.
The door also does not fully close ...leaving some space between the gasket on the body. I think it may be taken care of when a new gasket is put in ... if not, I assume that I can make some small adjustments to the door hinge?
Any direction would be helpful.
|07-13-2011, 02:48 PM||#2|
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Richmond Va.
Posts: 375Rewards Points: 376
Do you have somewhere close that you can get a replacement? Make & Model numbers. Once you take the old one off, you don't want to be having to order a new one.
When you pry the weatherstrip back a little, are there any screws. We have some older fridges like that. They hold the inside panel on the fridge door. The gasket goes around that panel in a little groove.
Type " refrigerator gasket replacement" in YouTube.
|07-13-2011, 09:41 PM||#3|
#1 HAWKEYE FAN
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,804Rewards Points: 1,518
at the top of my most disliked appliance repair jobs is replacing a door seal. follow these steps and you should be able to get it.
1] remove door and lay on flat surface.
2] pry back the gasket to expose the screws that hold the door liner and gasket on( about 1,000,000 of them]
3) loosen all the screws as far as possible without removing them
4) pull gasket off liner
5) very important, soak new gasket in tub of hot water (actually this should be step 1 )
6) install new gasket onto liner
7) tighten all screws a few turns, do not tighten all the way
8) reinstall door on refrig
9) start at the top middle of door and tighten screws 1/4 way around door
10) close door to make sure it is not getting out of shape
11) tighten 1/4 of the remaining screws
12) repeat step 10 and 11 until done
13) most likely you will have to apply heat wqith a hair dryer to get the gasket to take shape. Be very careful with your heat you can melt the new gasket
14) cuss manufactures for folding the gasket in half and stuffing it in that damn box
................."I want a house that has gotten over all its troubles. I dont' want to spend the rest of life bringing up a young and inexperienced house"...........
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|$1440+ labor only repair on 3 yr. old Goodman unit!?!||JMK||HVAC||23||05-06-2012 10:45 AM|
|Garage Door Repair Tip||doortodoor||Windows and Doors||0||03-15-2011 08:05 AM|
|Choosing a Refrigerator based on Repair Value||1655graff||Appliances||5||03-01-2011 08:49 AM|
|Repair Compounds||saggdevil||Painting||3||04-25-2010 03:02 PM|
|What do you guys think of this roof repair job?||darsunt||Roofing/Siding||7||08-21-2009 08:43 PM|