Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #1

Share |

refrigerator

O.K. guys I need some help here and I'm hoping one of you knows my answer. I just purchased a new refrigerator and I"m putting my other one in my garage. When I plug it into the GFI it trips immmediately. If I plug it into a regular outlet in my house without a GFI it works just fine. Does anyone have any ideas to let me know what is causing this?
Thanks guys !!!

Worker903

worker903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
Electrician

refrigerator

Yeah, your fridge is shot... go get another one.

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #3

refrigerator

Perhaps this article may be helpful and applicable - or neither. If nothing else, a bit of interesting reading that doesn't take too much time.

http://www.homeinspections-usa.com/article/43

I don't know if your appliance is on the way out or if the GFCI outlet is simply not amenable to the refrigerator being plugged into it. There's also the possibility that the GFCI outlet itself is on the way out. According to many on-line discussions, FAQ's and various reports, GFCI's do not improve with age. Rather, they deteriorate - pretty much like everything else.

Good luck in finding the actual problem.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:30 AM   #4

refrigerator

Aside from your GFCI issue, why are you putting a refrigerator in the garage? Did you know that in a typical house, aside from central a/c, that a refrigerator is the biggest item on your electric bill? Now you're running 2.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:50 AM   #5
Beer Advocate

refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
Aside from your GFCI issue, why are you putting a refrigerator in the garage? Did you know that in a typical house, aside from central a/c, that a refrigerator is the biggest item on your electric bill? Now you're running 2.

I know that, but every man needs a "Beer" fridge!
I got a energy star deep freezer and converted to to a 4 tap kegerator this winter, I don't know how I would live life without it!
Taipans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
Electrician

refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipans View Post
I know that, but every man needs a "Beer" fridge!
I got a energy star deep freezer and converted to to a 4 tap kegerator this winter, I don't know how I would live life without it!

Awesome, Now you need to post a pic after that comment
Old 03-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #7

refrigerator

I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE BUT YOU NEED TO GET A LIFE BUDDY!!!
YOU ARE NO HELP AT ALL TO ANYONE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Yeah, your fridge is shot... go get another one.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
Electrician

refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by worker903 View Post
I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE BUT YOU NEED TO GET A LIFE BUDDY!!!
YOU ARE NO HELP AT ALL TO ANYONE.
How do you figure? The fridge has current leakage, a serious problem, why do you think the gfi is tripping? Know the facts before you make such broad statements... But I guess you know everything correct?

Thats why your asking why a GFI trips on a DIY forum?

Here is some good information on why your fridge is tripping your gfi... why I help is beyond me...

The refrigerator electrical components may need cleaning, repair, or replacement. Have a refrigerator technician ensure that the line and neutral conductors within the refrigerator have no ground faults, and that the compressor motor insulation is satisfactory. If the neutral is connected to ground anywhere in the refrigerator, the GFCI will trip. If the induction motor that runs the compressor has aging insulation on the stator winding, there will be excessive leakage current from the winding to the motor frame, which will trip the GFCI.

Last edited by chris75; 03-04-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #9

refrigerator

Just wanted to apologize. I don't know everything and that is why I joined DIY chat room to get professional help every once in a while. When I get answers like you gave me the first time I just didn't feel that was helpful at all and that is why I became snappy with you. Well it is like I said I'm sorry and I really do appreciate the advice you gave this time. It was very helpful. Hope you keep on giving help to others.

worker 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
How do you figure? The fridge has current leakage, a serious problem, why do you think the gfi is tripping? Know the facts before you make such broad statements... But I guess you know everything correct?

Thats why your asking why a GFI trips on a DIY forum?

Here is some good information on why your fridge is tripping your gfi... why I help is beyond me...

The refrigerator electrical components may need cleaning, repair, or replacement. Have a refrigerator technician ensure that the line and neutral conductors within the refrigerator have no ground faults, and that the compressor motor insulation is satisfactory. If the neutral is connected to ground anywhere in the refrigerator, the GFCI will trip. If the induction motor that runs the compressor has aging insulation on the stator winding, there will be excessive leakage current from the winding to the motor frame, which will trip the GFCI.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:12 AM   #10
Mold!! Let's kill it!

refrigerator

If it's frost free, and depending on the model, there will be a heater strip someplace to melt ice off the coils. Twice I've seen those heat strips fail and trip breakers. If you can find and unplug or unhook that heater and then try resatarting the fridge it may give you a clue. Was the fridge working before you moved it to the garage? Did you have it laying on it's side by any chance? Moving it may have scraped a wire someplace.
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #11

refrigerator

NO IT WAS NEVER LAYING ON ITS SIDE. THE REFRIGERATOR IS ONLY A FEW YEARS OLD AND IT WAS TAKEN OUT TO THE GARAGE ON A DOLLY. WE PURCHASED ALL NEW APPLIANCES TO MATCH AND WE REALLY DIDN'T WANT TO GET RID OF THE REFRIGERATOR SINCE IT WAS STILL FAIRLY NEW. IT IS A SIDE BY SIDE AND IN THE HOUSE OUTLETS IT WORKS JUST FINE. IT JUST HAS US A LITTLE STUMPED.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
If it's frost free, and depending on the model, there will be a heater strip someplace to melt ice off the coils. Twice I've seen those heat strips fail and trip breakers. If you can find and unplug or unhook that heater and then try resatarting the fridge it may give you a clue. Was the fridge working before you moved it to the garage? Did you have it laying on it's side by any chance? Moving it may have scraped a wire someplace.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #12
Beer Advocate

refrigerator

How old is the fridge, and what brand? You might need to have a service guy out on this one if its worth it to you.
Taipans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
Crabby Bastard

refrigerator

have you tried replacing the GFCI yet? this would be the easiest and cheapest way to eliminate this as the potential problem
terri_and_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #14
Electrician

refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri_and_jj View Post
have you tried replacing the GFCI yet? this would be the easiest and cheapest way to eliminate this as the potential problem
Why would the gfi be at fault? its doing its job, the fridge has a current leakage problem.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #15

refrigerator

Worker903, I don't know if you read the article I had posted for you very early on, but the individual who wrote it specifically states that refrigerators should not be plugged into GFCI outlets for very good reasons. One is that the GFCI has been known to trip when the compressor starts up. Ruined food is the other. He even remarks about it being a common mistake with homeowners, especially when the refrifgerator is moved into the garage where the outlets in the garage are normally GFCI protected. Seems to me that if your refrigerator has worked fine all along and that if you moved it with care into the garage, the problem is not with the refrigerator or with the particular GFCI outlet per say. It's a problem systemic to plugging refrigerators in GFCI outlets. Am I missing something here?

End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote