DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Range Hood Duct Size

8K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  BOUTYM 
#1 ·
I'm adding a small kitchen in my basement and am installing a 24" stove and 24" range hood. My problem is that the location of the stove prevents venting of the hood directly through the wall. Additionally, I'm very limited on space where the hood ducting has to run to the outside. I can only fit 4" duct in the space. I know 6" is about as small as one should go, but I really don't have much choice but to run 4" duct. The duct length would be around 48".

I don't want to use a non-vented hood and frankly I think even with the lost efficiency of the smaller ducting it's still better than a non-vented hood.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
It's an electric range. There is a small oil fired boiler in the basement also. I understand about the negative atmosphere and could agree that it might be an issue with the recommended ducting, but using a 4 inch duct would actually result in less negative pressure since the range hood would be less efficient. The range hood I'm looking to use is rated at 190cfm with a 3 1/4 x 10 duct and 220cfm with a 7 inch round. I would be going from 3 1/4 x 10 into the 4 inch round duct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.