Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #1

Share |

range hood

my kenmore elite range hood keeps blowing its fuse ,I cleaned the entire hood put new fuse in and it blew it again and running for a few minutes.

petu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Bombastic Idiot

range hood

What else is on that circuit? The hood, with lights on shouldn't be pulling much over a couple of amps if that.
There could be a short in the wiring or in the motor. Since it ran briefly, the motor could be seizing up or the fan jamming causing it to draw amps or there could be a loose connection that gets jiggled into shorting. Turn off the circuit, open any access panels you can, take out the filter and take a look around. gently wiggle any wires, spin the fan, see if it turns smoothly. Could be that grease on motor or wiring is causing short. That's about all you can do without taking motor out and bench testing it. Except for a situation I know about where there were four lights, removal of two of them stopped fuse blowing. It didn't matter which two, so it wasn't a socket problem. Just drawing too much current. All I can figure is that it was severly under wired. That's all I can do. . Hopefully a real expert will see your question

notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:22 AM   #3

range hood

My vent hood has been working for three years and all of a sudden the lights stopped working but the vent fan continued to work. I took it apart and found a blown fuse and replaced it. It still didn't work and it blew the fuse. Checked the electronic board and found a burnt spot on the switch so I replaced it. It still does not work and again it blew the fuse. The only thing left to replace is the transformer. Could this be the cause of everything?
grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #4

range hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by grod View Post
My vent hood has been working for three years and all of a sudden the lights stopped working but the vent fan continued to work. I took it apart and found a blown fuse and replaced it. It still didn't work and it blew the fuse. Checked the electronic board and found a burnt spot on the switch so I replaced it. It still does not work and again it blew the fuse. The only thing left to replace is the transformer. Could this be the cause of everything?
possible. Test it with a volt/ohm meter and see what the readings are to be sure.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:31 PM   #5

range hood

Check the light socket and the wiring going to it for a possible short. The heat, grease, and vibration can be pretty hard on the wiring.
chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote