Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

range hood

So im planning on ordering a new range hood, debating on a ducted or ductless. Older one I have now is broken, and am afraid that it is causing a draft in the winter /summer. It is a ducted kind. Should I go with the same one, or cover up the pipe and get a ductless style.

bigvic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,110

range hood

Up to you, Duct is far better in most cases. If there's a draft it's because the flapper that stops the draft failed.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

range hood

Absolutely ducted!!! Non ducted hoods serve no purpose but to make lots of fan noise and waste electricity. You would not recirculate the dirty water in your sink or bath tub, so why would you do it to smoke and aroma filled air?
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #4

range hood

Thanx guys, I was able to replace my old one. House smells like no one is cooking when the pots and pans are hard at work! Ducted is the way to go!
bigvic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #5

range hood

We are starting a kitchen renovation, which will give us a lot more working area & storage space within the same smallish footprint. Cabinets have been ordered, granite counter-top nearing decision, general look & feel of the kitchen decided. I'm sure I will be coming back with other questions later.

I've been lurking here, and reading reviews on other sites, trying to decide on which gas or dual-fuel range. Several people have recommended the GE Cafe, and then I read some very negative reviews about it. Saw raves here on the Bertillon, but reports of small oven & fan running automatically. Mixed reviews of Electrolux. How is Bosch?
dipika4564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

range hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipika4564 View Post
We are starting a kitchen renovation, which will give us a lot more working area & storage space within the same smallish footprint. Cabinets have been ordered, granite counter-top nearing decision, general look & feel of the kitchen decided. I'm sure I will be coming back with other questions later.

I've been lurking here, and reading reviews on other sites, trying to decide on which gas or dual-fuel range. Several people have recommended the GE Cafe, and then I read some very negative reviews about it. Saw raves here on the Bertillon, but reports of small oven & fan running automatically. Mixed reviews of Electrolux. How is Bosch?
We just did a kitchen renovation. I bought a 36" "professional" Bertazonni that I got off Craig's list used. So far I have been very happy with it. It's almost purely mechanical and I tell you, it gets hot. The oven is a big and roomy and the broiler is wicked hot as well. The running fan when the oven is on does not bother me, although at first it seemed a bit odd. If there is a downside to the range it is that the oven takes awhile to heat up....like 15 minutes to get to 350. But it is very accurate, and it does not fluctuate nearly as much as other ovens I have used. The biggest upside to the range is that it is a work of art...all stainless, very industrial looking without being silly and clunky. It does have a few quirks though, such as how you light the oven, and it has no timers or clocks or anything so if you're used to that, you might be disappointed.

The only reason to buy a duel fuel is if you love to bake bread. Bread does much better in an electric oven because it is dry heat. Gas creates water vapor when it burns and that makes for a moist heat. Great for roasting and general use, not good for most baking of breads and so forth. Otherwise, a duel fuel range is just twice as much to go wrong...in addition to being more expensive.

As far as range hoods go, I've been very pleased with one we got from RangeHoodsinc.com. It's a Cavaliere and it moves some serious air. It's solid and well made and installation was pretty straightforward.

Last edited by Ironlight; 03-24-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typos
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #7

range hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
We just did a kitchen renovation. I bought a 36" "professional" Bertazonni that I got off Craig's list used. So far I have been very happy with it. It's almost purely mechanical and I tell you, it gets hot. The over is a big and room and the broiler is wicked hot as well. The running fan when the oven is on does not bother me, although at first it seemed a bit odd. If there is a downside to the range it is that the oven takes awhile to heat up....like 15 minutes to get to 350. But it is very accurate, and it does not fluctuate nearly as much as other ovens I have used. The biggest upside to the range is that it is a work of art...all stainless, very industrial looking without being silly and clunky.

The only reason to buy a duel fuel is if you love to bake bread. Bread does much better in an electric oven because it is dry heat. Gas creates water vapor when it burns and that makes for a moist heat. Great for roasting and general use, not good for most baking of breads and so forth. Otherwise, a duel fuel range is just twice as much to go wrong...in addition to being more expensive.

As far as range hoods go, I've been very pleased with one we got from RangeHoodsinc.com. It's a Cavaliere and it moves some serious air. It's solid and well made and installation was pretty straightforward.
Thank you for your statement, it's helps me a lot.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #8

range hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
We just did a kitchen renovation. I bought a 36" "professional" Bertazonni that I got off Craig's list used. So far I have been very happy with it. It's almost purely mechanical and I tell you, it gets hot. The over is a big and room and the broiler is wicked hot as well. The running fan when the oven is on does not bother me, although at first it seemed a bit odd. If there is a downside to the range it is that the oven takes awhile to heat up....like 15 minutes to get to 350. But it is very accurate, and it does not fluctuate nearly as much as other ovens I have used. The biggest upside to the range is that it is a work of art...all stainless, very industrial looking without being silly and clunky.

Thank you for your statement, it's helps me a lot.