Question about Dryer Vent
Hi everyone, I just joined the site, and hope I'm posting in the right section (wasn't exactly sure where to post this question).
The the wife and I just moved into our town home and bought a new electric dyer this past week. We have had difficulty with the dryer not fully drying the clothes. The dryer is on high heat (the unit does get pretty toasty), and runs for an hour, yet the clothes come out wet/damp. In fact, it took nearly 3 hours to get a small load of shirts, socks, etc. to fully dry.
Naturally, since the unit was brand new, and was generating decent heat, I suspected the dryer vent was clogged. After an unsuccessful attempt to blow out any debris with my shop-vac, I decided to inspect the vent itself from outside the home. Upon removing the outside cover, I discovered the corrugated tube connecting to my dryer was simply laying inside the gap between the upstairs floor joists (please see attached image). As you can tell from the image, there is a fair amount of dryer lint laying in this little space.
Is this normal operating procedure when installing a dryer exhaust vent (blowing flammable lint into the frame of the home)?
Hardly think so. It should have been soild pipe and ran all the way to the outside of the building.
No screws or rivits, just foil tape on the joints.
Lint's not the only issue. All that warm, moist air is a recipe for mold growth. Can't tell for sure from your picture, but it looks like the vent hose is the flexible white stuff (at least part of it). That should all be replaced - it too easily traps lint and I believe isn't legal any more. I don't think you can even buy it.
Thanks for the replies.
Yes, it is a plastic corrugated tube--the entire length from the dryer to the point shown in the photo, actually. I too have heard they are illegal because of their lint trapping potential. Also, if you notice there is a small piece of wood poking through the tube. I'm sure that doesn't help either.
The warm air/moisture creation was certainly another major concern, as I suffer from asthma and the mold growth can cause breathing problems. To add to that, the structural damage that could occur from rotting wood. The wood doesn't appear terribly rotted, so fortunately this hasn't gone on too long.
I have contacted the landlord to have them look into what I thought was a simple clogging issue. However, after doing a bit more research last night, I will be changing my request a bit, and bumping up the level of urgency a bit. Even if the dryer worked like magic, I wouldn't be using it as it--not after seeing the vent hose where it is.
Thanks again for the replies everyone.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.|
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.