Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2011, 03:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

propane range/oven or gas range/electric oven?

I told myself when i build or buy a house i will have a gas range. I live in my RV on my property and hate cooing when I visit parents..eggs should only take 2 minutes to cook! The only thing I do notice is that gas ovens are hard to keep even heat. I an not setup for natural gas but have a big propane tank that hopefully can be used..its old. if not, cooking doenst use much propane anyway. Any opinions from those wiht gas stoves? remember propane dies burn hotter thats why youneed a converter or a propane appliance. I am trying to finish my plans. it would be much simpler to have a all inone unit, but rather do it right first time. Hopefully I can find a range that doesnt need electric like alot of these damn new ones

1488rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

We went all propane (no nat gas available nearby) at our place and are very happy.

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Wife and I are about to put in a propane stove/oven. Never seen one that used propane on the range and electric in the oven.

I do 99% of the cooking using cast iron. My favorite is a Mr B-B-Q wok I got online and use it for nearly everything plus we can a lot so propane/NG is the only way to go.
Satanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #4

Well I dont know if thier are propane ranges separate(for home use) but I do know that electric oven you build into the cabinets have been around for years. Two thinks withthe oven: 1 withRV at least thye are not as even heat as electric. 2: They use more propane which means exhaust/fresh air needing sucked in/out of house for extended time. I odnt know if new codes make it to where when your range turns on the fan automatically does..have no idea. but if not now surely later wiht the new carbon monixide "danger" Either way I will get gas range. I dont see how anyone could go back once they used it. I actually find it quite hilarious in our world of technology how everything went to quick and convenient yet they made electric ranges which slowed down cooking from the 1900s gas stoves. Who needs a microwave when you got gas
The Following User Says Thank You to 1488rob For This Useful Post:
Satanta (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1488rob View Post
Well I dont know if thier are propane ranges separate(for home use) but I do know that electric oven you build into the cabinets have been around for years. Two thinks withthe oven: 1 withRV at least thye are not as even heat as electric. 2: They use more propane which means exhaust/fresh air needing sucked in/out of house for extended time. I odnt know if new codes make it to where when your range turns on the fan automatically does..have no idea. but if not now surely later wiht the new carbon monixide "danger" Either way I will get gas range. I dont see how anyone could go back once they used it. I actually find it quite hilarious in our world of technology how everything went to quick and convenient yet they made electric ranges which slowed down cooking from the 1900s gas stoves. Who needs a microwave when you got gas
Yeah, try smoking a turkey in a Nuker or doing a spivy lobster stir-fry. Plus NONE of my cast iron will fit the Nuker...
Satanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
SDC

Rewards Points: 75

Some of the best ranges are duel-fuel
Meaning gas cook top
Electric ovens

http://www.vikingrange.com/consumer/...id=prod7960179
Name:  usappliance_2146_64466644.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  11.1 KB
We even do ovens with water hook ups for steaming....
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDkQ8wIwAg#
The Following User Says Thank You to SDC For This Useful Post:
1488rob (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #7

big thanks SDC, ill be checking that out my ony concern is alot of never ranges deped on elec so you can get fuel! i thin any gas appliance should be able to be hand lit and manual fuel..that safety could kiil youoff in a bad power outage