Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Propane heater inlet filter and gasket

I am installing a Home Comfort DV21L propane heater. It is a direct vent through the wall model. I bought it as an open box deal at a heavy discount. I have a couple questions.

1) The gasket that goes around the 8" diameter vent pipe is missing. This gasket installs onto the wall bracket by way of an adhesive back. I went to an auto parts store and got some make-your-own gasket stuff that sets in a minute and withstands 500 degrees. Good? Anything better?

2) The inlet is 3/8" female. There is a red plastic plug to keep the inlet clean for shipping. Under this plug is a white plastic ring with a fine mesh filter. Do I leave this in place, or will it get in the way when I install the propane?

Thanks.

sandwichbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,086

IMO, in the interest of safety, stay away from the make your own gasket stuff. I would get the proper gasket from the manufacture or local appliance store and install it to manufacture specs. Being how this was an open box deal, make sure you have all the correct parts needed before you start.

Did it come with an instruction/install manual? If not, you can google it or click on link below. This should tell you everything you need to know on how to install it correctly and properly for your location/type of house.

instruction manual

Last edited by jmon; 12-05-2013 at 06:33 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #3

I do have the manual, but it is a bit vague on the points that I brought up.

I just now tracked down the gasket. Thanks.

My question about the inlet filter stands - is this a typical piece? Is this for a flare fitting or npt? My experience is "limited."

Last edited by sandwichbear; 12-05-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwichbear View Post
I do have the manual, but it is a bit vague on the points that I brought up.

I just now tracked down the gasket. Thanks.

My question about the inlet filter stands - is this a typical piece? Is this for a flare fitting or npt? My experience is "limited."
Ayuh,... The filter stays, 'n it's probably pipe thread,....

I've used Hi-temp silicone gasket maker on my wood boiler, with great results,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
jmon (12-05-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
Retired Army Veteran

Others will be on shortly with more advice for you. If no results, call the number on your manual 423-837-2100 and ask the manufacture directly. Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #6

I went ahead and put the 1-minute gasket around the hole on the mounting bracket. Then I put the back of the heater in place, and it seems to have done the trick - looks adhered all around the perimeter. This is the air intake, so I'm not sure what level of precision is needed, but I would expect this should do fine. The only problem might be if I need to take the heater off the wall for some reason - which at my level of experience could happen for a number of reasons. I don't know if I'll have to put on more gasket gunk if I have to break the seal.

3/8" pipe fitting + little filter = perfect sense. I'll give that a try tomorrow. Is it common practice to use pipe dope on all threads except for flare fittings? Is that the rule?

Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
Retired Army Veteran

Your welcome.

Correct. IMO, no need for pipe dope on union or flare fitting threads. However, some will put both pipe dope and teflon tape on all threads regardless. Let us know how everything worked out for you. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 12-05-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
I went ahead and put the 1-minute gasket around the hole on the mounting bracket. Then I put the back of the heater in place, and it seems to have done the trick - looks adhered all around the perimeter. This is the air intake, so I'm not sure what level of precision is needed, but I would expect this should do fine. The only problem might be if I need to take the heater off the wall for some reason - which at my level of experience could happen for a number of reasons. I don't know if I'll have to put on more gasket gunk if I have to break the seal.

3/8" pipe fitting + little filter = perfect sense. I'll give that a try tomorrow. Is it common practice to use pipe dope on all threads except for flare fittings? Is that the rule?

Thanks for the replies.
Ayuh,... If ya break the seal, Ya, clean the old sealant off, 'n redo it with fresh,...

Pipe threads Always get pipe dope,...

Flare fittin's seal against the flare, no pipe dope needed,...

Once ya turn the gas on,...
Check ALL the connections with soapy water for leaks,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
jmon (12-05-2013), sandwichbear (12-05-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 518

Quote:

Thanks for the replies.
Dope is used to make threads seal properly when the thread are the seal. It is never used on flare fittings; that will actually prevent them from fitting together properly.

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toller For This Useful Post:
sandwichbear (12-05-2013)

Tags
direct vent, propane