Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

powerful am radio?

I live about 90 miles from the am station I've always listened to. It used to come in pretty good on my cheap walmart radio until they put up some mega high wires close to our home on the side where the station direction is. I just wanted to know should I bother trying to buy a certain type of radio to be able to get the signal again or am I pretty much out of luck? I don't mind buying something expensive if it works. Thanks.

annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

powerful am radio?

Are you speaking of high-voltage transmission wires? You may be out of luck really since their interference can be much stronger than the station and the AM band is an afterthought. You may want to try a higher end AM radio. Ones that have shortwave bands typically have better noise rejection and selectivity. Some brands that come in mind are Sanegan, Grundig, Icom. You may be spending a couple hundred bucks, but you will also end up getting addicted to world-band radio too Before you spend the money though, go out to your car and listen to the station on your car's radio (do it with the engine off). They typically have better quality AM bands. If it comes in Okay in the car, then a good radio will work for you. If you really don't want to go the route of a fancy radio, try the radio station's web site for a webcast feed.

av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #3

powerful am radio?

Thanks, that helps a lot because I do believe it comes through on my car radio so there is hope for a house radio that will pick it up.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

powerful am radio?

Most radio stations have online streaming these days. As for high power power distribution lines, I can not really see them causing problems with the station. Check the radio station website, to see about the streaming option. Supposedly this is supposed to be the best AM radio out there http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-r...x#.UPSrz_LiuSo

As for solving the problem, see http://www.radiolabs.com/Articles/im...reception.html

Here are some searches on Power line interference http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...go_portal_home
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

powerful am radio?

annie...consider a radio with antenna capabilities as well. A moe selective tuner and an antenna may solve the problem.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #6

powerful am radio?

I have been listening online, its just that I have a small house and dragging the laptop around (its battery is dead so it must always be plugged in) is getting old. I want to park it at the desk I have in the living room and have a radio in the kitchen, I have a nice little nook just right for a radio
Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

powerful am radio?

One option you could do is use a "repeater" Plug an FM (or AM if you want to) transmitter into the computer, and then tune a radio into the channel of your transmitter
av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

powerful am radio?

There are also Internet radios, so you can have the radio connected via wifi.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 554

powerful am radio?

I think AM 640 used to recommend turning your radio. This works for me.

Maybe it would be good to have an OLD radio? I know the reception used to be better, but maybe the signal has changed and the old radio idea is dumb.

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote