Power Up Or Not ? - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

power up or not ?

I am storing my son's refrigerator for a few months. do I need to keep it powered up or just let it sit? seems like I heard once it is better to power them up

Advertisement

mule98h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,344

power up or not ?

If it's just for a few months, IMO, Clean it all out and just leave it plugged in until he's ready to retrive it. It won't use that much more electricity. Now if your talking about a long term storage in a garage or secure storage center somewhere than that's different.

Advertisement

jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 602

power up or not ?

Not going to hurt a thing to leave it unplugged/
Old 11-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,680

power up or not ?

yep. unplugged.

also. i understand, that if you lay one down. like if you have to haul it that way. you should not plug it in for a day or so, after uprighting it.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

power up or not ?

Use it for a beer or overflow food storage, while it is taking up real estate. I would take advantage of having the extra refer during the holidays. When done with the holidays, either turn it up to 1 if storing in your garage, or unplug.

Keep in mind that if you do store it in your garage, and tend to get field mice in there, place bait traps at the entrance, along the wall, and also on both sides of the refer, and one in front, so that it keeps the mice out of it.

I do tend to place stuff on wood shipping pallets, so that it keeps it off the ground, so if you want to, get a sturdy Chep blue pallet, and have him help you place it on it. It will help keep the mice out of it, while sitting in storage also.

When you transport it, rent a small U-Haul, or pickup from either Menard's, Home Depot, U-Haul to haul it from his place to yours upright. Check with your local Lowe's or Home Depot. They may have a box from a unit that was taken to a customer's, that you can use to protect his when you transport it to your place.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 11-17-2013 at 08:36 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

power up or not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
yep. unplugged.

also. i understand, that if you lay one down. like if you have to haul it that way. you should not plug it in for a day or so, after uprighting it.
The older units you used to have to let them sit upright for a couple of days. The newer units are not as bad, since the compressors are built different and do not use the same refrigerant as the older units.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Fix'n it (11-17-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,346

power up or not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
The newer units are not as bad, since the compressors are built different and do not use the same refrigerant as the older units.
It's not really the refrigerant that's the problem. It's the oil. You need to give it time to settle back into the base of the compressor.
Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Sanders For This Useful Post:
danpik (11-20-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #8
registered

Rewards Points: 524

power up or not ?

Yes clean it. Stick a box of open baking soda in there. Just a couple of months. Now if it was me. I probably run it. When i caught some pepsi on sale. I would stock up. Last week my dollar general had degorino supreme and peperoni pizza 4.50. I grab a bunch. Grocery store 6.99 . 2 days later went up there to grab some pepsi. All gone.

Last edited by 747; 11-20-2013 at 12:18 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

power up or not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
It's not really the refrigerant that's the problem. It's the oil. You need to give it time to settle back into the base of the compressor.
The old ones were that way, now it is no longer, since they have redesigned the compressors, so that you do not have to worry about that anymore. You only have to wait a couple of hours now, before plugging in, unlike the old days, where you had to wait a day or two.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

power up or not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Yes clean it. Stick a box of open baking soda in there. Just a couple of months. Now if it was me. I probably run it. When i caught some pepsi on sale. I would stock up. Last week my dollar general had degorino supreme and peperoni pizza 4.50. I grab a bunch. Grocery store 6.99 . 2 days later went up there to grab some pepsi. All gone.
Pepsi & Pizza, you are kidding. Here it is stock that sucker with microbrews, no soda or Pizza.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 780

power up or not ?

Block the doors open or take them off. It may look clean but stuff will grow....lots of stuff.
oh'mike (11-20-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #12
registered

Rewards Points: 524

power up or not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Pepsi & Pizza, you are kidding. Here it is stock that sucker with microbrews, no soda or Pizza.
Beer is always on sale where i live. If its not on sale at grocery store. It is at the distillery.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (11-23-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 562

power up or not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
yep. unplugged.

It is critical to lay it down correctly; otherwise oil goes places from which it cannot get back.
The ones I looked at have to be laid down on the back, but others might be different.

Advertisement

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote