Portable Dishwasher To Built In - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

portable dishwasher to built in

our dishwasher is a portable one . how do I convert it into a built in or stationary one?

Advertisement

paula koester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,278

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula koester View Post
our dishwasher is a portable one.
how do I convert it into a built in or stationary one?
That requires two steps:
1) You put an ad in craigslist: "used portable dishwasher; cheap"
2) Go to a store and buy a real dishwasher.
3) Install that.

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
joecaption (04-20-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,060

there are specific kits for that. Order by make and model#. What you will do is remove the cabinet from the dishwasher, install a drain line and usually a new water valve. Pretty easy.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

My Grandfather did this years ago on a Kenmore when they remodeled their kitchen. It's pretty easy actually. A portable Dishwasher is pretty much the same as an installed dishwasher, except for the fact the cabinet is installed all the way around, flexible hoses with a sink attachment, a regular 3-prong power cord, and casters/wheels to roll it around. You will most likely NOT need to remove the cabinet sides and back unless you have clearance problems with the cabinet, and you may even want to leave it in place for sound insulation. You will want to remove the casters so it will not roll out of the cabinet. You will not need to remove the 3-prog power cord either. Just install an outlet box under the cabinet where you want the dishwasher to go, and plug it in. For the water connections, you will need to remove the bottom cover of the dishwasher below the main door, and access the mechanical components. There, you will find where the flexible hoses/sink connection attach to the components. You will want to remove the flexible hoses at this point. On the one my grandfather did, there was a threaded connection on the water inlet valve. The flexible hose was simply unscrewed, and the permanent water inlet hose connected. On the outlet side, the hose is typically held on with an automotive style hose clamp...Perform the same procedure... You can leave the flexible hose in place, and then in the future, if you ever decide you want to get a new DW, you can reverse the procedure, and restore the DW back to a portable machine...which is sometimes easier to get rid of on secondhand
av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote