Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Please look at this dryer vent installation

Hello,

I just finished re-doing my dryer vent and would like to get some input on the new installation.

Quick background: Previous vent system was simply one of those foil hoses running straight up about 2.5' to a regular thru the wall vent flapper thingy. This worked fine until I put a new larger deck on the back of the house and the vent would spew lint all over that area of the deck, and it would get wet and make a mess.

Washer and dryer are in the garage. The dryer is flanked on one side by the washer and on the other side with some built-in cabinets. Because of this the dryer needs to be able to be pulled away from the wall in order to access the back to clean behind the dryer and clean/replace the vent hose when required.

I decided to move the vent location such that it would be dumping the lint on the gravel walkway instead of the deck. I did this by running a horizontal run of rigid alum vent tube down the wall through the cabinets to a new exit point to go through the exterior wall. The run is about 5' in length. Clamps are used with foil tape over the clamp/joint and I put all the crimped ends going in the air flow direction.

My first concern is the foil hose I'm using between the dryer and the 90 elbow at the beginning of the rigid run wants to have a bit of a sag in it. However, I'm not sure what can be done because as I mentioned the dryer has to be pulled out from the wall so I don't think I can have a rigid run all the way to the dryer connection? Please take a look at the pictures and tell me if you think this sag is going to be a problem.

My second concern is the heat put off by the vent tubing where it runs through the 4.25" hole in the 1/4 or 1/2" (can't remember if it is 1/4 or 1/2) plywood in two places inside the cabinets. I let the dryer run awhile and then checked temps. They varied from about 80 degrees at the bottom of the tube to 125 degrees max at the top of the tube in some places. Can these temps cause the plywood to catch on fire?

I also wonder about the vent tube that goes through the exterior wall. I assume this tube gets just as hot and it is inside the wall with insulation and such?

Please view the pictures below and advise if I should do something different?

Thank you for your help.

Andy

Andy Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

It will not do. How will you clean this. Yearly cleaning is required. My wife complained that the dryer was not working. Cleaned the vent...works great now! What you need is a dryer vent box. This is a recessed box that will allow the 90 degree connection fit into the wall between the joists. Use only solid metal duct for the dryer vent.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
It will not do. How will you clean this. Yearly cleaning is required. My wife complained that the dryer was not working. Cleaned the vent...works great now! What you need is a dryer vent box. This is a recessed box that will allow the 90 degree connection fit into the wall between the joists. Use only solid metal duct for the dryer vent.
Cleaning will not be a problem as I can clean from both ends with the vent duct brush kit, and then suck it out with the vac or blow it out with compressed air.
Andy Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I think you did a great job. As for your first concern the little sag in the vent will not hurt anything. As for you second concern the temperature shouldn’t be a problem unless it gets clogged and even then I don’t believe it will catch the wood on fire. I would say that cleaning it could be a problem but it is only five foot long you shouldn’t have a problem with that.

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 09-30-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: removed adv link in post
applianceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by applianceman View Post
I think you did a great job. As for your first concern the little sag in the vent will not hurt anything. As for you second concern the temperature shouldn’t be a problem unless it gets clogged and even then I don’t believe it will catch the wood on fire. I would say that cleaning it could be a problem but it is only five foot long you shouldn’t have a problem with that

home centers also use and sell this foil duct. It is unsafe and has caused many fires. Read this article. Looking good is not your only goal in a safe and correct installation.

http://www.protectingtheconsumer.com...-vent-fire.php
Old 08-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

What would you like for him to change? He used the best vent and only used a short piece of flex for it would be very hard to run hard pipe the entire length and he wouldn’t be able to pull it out. If he cleans it on regular basis I opinion is that it will never give him any problems. When it comes to fires it is better to be safe than sorry but I think he done good. You could change that foil flex to the metal flex to be on the safe side.

The only thing I would have done differently (if possible) is I wouldn’t have come up with the vent. I would have gone straight out the sidewall and then straight through the outside wall. In other words I would have avoided running the vent up if I could.

I agree that the original way he had the vent run was better because the straightest possible vent is always better. You do need to clean it once a year and keep a check on it more than that.
applianceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

I would have him change it since I know flex foil duct is a fire hazard and flex metal duct will do the same job without the fire hazard.