Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #1

Share |

Places where I can take appliances

Anyone in houston texas know a place where I can discard some old used appliances and maybe get a little cash for them

woodenSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #2

Look it up in the yellow pages under recycling.
Not going to get a whole lot for them because there's so much plastic, foam and mixed metals.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenSpoon View Post
Anyone in houston texas know a place where I can discard some old used appliances and maybe get a little cash for them
If you are talking about refrigerators, air conditioners or anything else with freon in it you need to be a bit careful what you do with them.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Coconut Pete's paella!

Just do a search - if you are in Houston, there has GOT to be something. I have this place right near me, they don't pay, but they take anything you bring.

http://www.greenmonsterecycling.com/
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #5

As jschaben mentioned, refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioners are the tough ones, as you will usually have to pay something in the vicinity of $25 or more to have the freon removed, before a scrap yard will accept them. And don't just cut the line, and consider the freon gone, as they will usually want to see the proper tag, indicating that the freon has been evacuated. But, you might want to call or check the website of your local power company, as a number of them have an agreement with a company called something like JACO, which will pick them up for free, and sometimes even pay for them. On the other hand, stoves, washing machines, and dryers can go to your local scrap metal dealer, as is. Sometimes Habitat Restore or other local such organizations will accept appliances, but they are generally quite selective in regard to age, condition, etc., for obvious reasons.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Are they working or not?

Ditto what Dexter said.

Working, you could either donate them to a worthy thrift store, or if you want $$$ for them, look for a consignment store. I'm sure there are some in Houston.

If they are not working, check with a used appliance place. There is one near us that will accept non-working refrigerators that are well past any useful life, remove the freon themselves, and sell for scrap.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #7

I don't know where you are, but by me the electric company will pay $35 for working ref and freezers
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #8

They are just a washer and dryer. One is really old and the other doesnt work. Thats the only reason I am considering a scrap yard and maybe get a little money for the metal
woodenSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:15 AM   #9

scrap yard is probably the best bet. Steel is .10/# around here.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Check for local mom & pop that refurb's old appliances, or part them out. Since you are in Houston, there should be plenty of people that do hauling, that will take it away. In our area, you just call one of the trash haulers, and they will haul up to three large items a year at no charge.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote