Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #1

Share |

over-the-range microwave problem

Two weeks ago our 14 year old over-the-range microwave by whirlpool sparked and popped loudly while defrosting venison chops. At that point the microwave ran with a low humming noise and did not heat food.

We've recently purchased and installed a replacement whirlpool, but I am very unhappy with the outcome. I searched and searched but could not find a microwave similar in size to our old whirlpool. At 29 15/16 inches wide and 14 inches deep it sat nearly flush to our cabinetry. See the old microwave depicted in the first photo below. The new microwave is the same size width but it is over 16 inches deep. It's also taller.

You can see the new microwaves depicted in the 2nd and 3rd photos. Does the new microwave look to be way too big for the space? Am I just over-reacting here? I have searched and search for a smaller microwave that would better fit into this space but I cannot find one! Am I missing something? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
over-the-range microwave problem-microwave3.jpg   over-the-range microwave problem-microwave2.jpg   over-the-range microwave problem-microwave1.jpg  

Last edited by aumanpj; 12-03-2010 at 09:20 PM.
aumanpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #2

Phil,
That's pretty much how most if not all of them are now. Around 16-16 1/2" tall, stick out a couple of inches or so. Most of the ones I have installed over the last few years have been the same size like yours.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

I had a similar problem. I removed the upper cabinet and reduced it height by about 3 inches and reinstalled. Brought the MW up flush with the bottom of the upper cabinet. It stills sticks out though.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
blusnipe (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
SDC

This one is 15 3/4" high and 15 1/32 deep

This one is 15 3/8" high x 16 7/8" deep

These five are 16" high....

Here is the smallest I could find. (with very minimal effort)
Its a GE Profile Spacemaker II.
It is only 11 3/16 tall and 12 9/32 deep.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SDC For This Useful Post:
blusnipe (12-04-2010), Michael Thomas (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
master of none

Thanks for starting this thread aumanpj. I am currently wanting to install an overhead mw where there is now only a light and fan. What it the recommended clearance height over the stove. My cabinets are 15" above the counter. Space flush at the bottom of the cabinet above the stove is 30"W 12"D 14"H. Might possible have to move up cabinet.
blusnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blusnipe View Post
Thanks for starting this thread aumanpj. I am currently wanting to install an overhead mw where there is now only a light and fan. What it the recommended clearance height over the stove. My cabinets are 15" above the counter. Space flush at the bottom of the cabinet above the stove is 30"W 12"D 14"H. Might possible have to move up cabinet.
Blus,
Your uppers are about 3" lower than normal. Usually there is 18" between counters and bottom of uppers. If I follow your dimensions right, you have 29" between your counter and the bottom of the cabinet above your stove. If you go with one of the larger sizes, you will only have around 13" of clearance. That's pretty snug. If you go with the GE spacemaker, you would be ok.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
blusnipe (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
master of none

Thats what I figure. I had been planning to remove the bottom of the cabinet and move it up and then rebuild the cab doors, but hoping to find an easier alternative. The cabinet above the stove is part of the rest of the cabinets, I wish it was its own like the one over the frig then I could just raise the whole thing. I'd lift the whole cabinets up but the wife does not want to use a step stool. Update: showed the wife the post and she is for raising the cabs now, The ge spacesaver is too small from the spec, it is smaller than our countertop mw, Thanks ya'll

Last edited by blusnipe; 12-05-2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Update
blusnipe is offline   Reply With Quote