Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Over-the-range Microwave

Hello. I'm installing an OTR microwave where there was none prior. I'm trying to figure out how high the microwave needs to be above the cooking surface but I'm not getting much luck searching online. I've read that a general consensus is no less than 16 inches above the cooking surface but most contractors online suggested to consult the microwave manufacturers installation instructions.

It's an LG microwave and the instructions say NO LESS than 30 inches above the cooking surface. That seems absurdly high to have a microwave; I don't even know how my wife would reach something that high! I need some guidance, that can't be the correct height above the stove...

There was an oven vent in place before that I have cut out. This is what it looked like before:

And this is what it looks like now:

I live in Oceanside California, and the stove is gas. If anyone out there has familiarity with these types of installs please lend some knowledge, thanks!!

bobgodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 22

Over-the-range Microwave

30" is the top of the stove top to the bottom of the cabinet.
Now that you have removed the cabinet, what are you going to hang the microwave?

Last edited by jbfan; 11-19-2012 at 10:24 AM.
jbfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #3

Over-the-range Microwave

The cabinet is going back in, but was going to cut it shorter (height), otherwise the microwave would have been way too close to the stove.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Over-the-range Microwave

if you are cutting the cabinet down, do no go with the min. The perfect hight for the average persons i 33" to the bottom of the cabinet. Trust me on this one.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #5

Over-the-range Microwave

I did the same thing, misread the instructions as 30" to bottom of the microwave but it was to the cabinet. I had nothing there and was installing a shelf to attach to, so I ended up setting it where standing at the stove, I could see the oven controls unobstructed. It ended up being just over 30", probably 33" as someone else recommended.
SuperJETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 44

Over-the-range Microwave

The distance from the range top to the bottom of the microwave should be 16". Amy more that that will be inconvenient to most people.

I have no idea what an LG microwave is but if the manufacturer doesn't want it as close as 16 inches find another brand that does.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #7

Over-the-range Microwave

LG is the manufacturer, huge company like Samsung, GE, etc.
SuperJETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #8

Over-the-range Microwave

16 inches above the range, IMO, is going to be way too low. Just guessing based on your photos, that would put the bottom of the wave in line with the top of the phone jack plate.

18 to 20 inches would be better, closer to 20", again IMO.

Assuming the LG mounts like the OTR waves I've seen, the rear mounting panel sits flush against the wall, your cabinets appear to have been spaced out some - the white portion where the range hood once was - unless the photo is playing tricks on me?

W/O knowing actual measurements of the countertop to bottom of cabinets, I'd say to set it up so the bottom of the wave is about halfway between the bottom of the cabinets and the top of the phone switchplate.

Or, you could get your biggest ( tallest ) stock pot and set that bad boy on a burner, see how high it is with the lid on, and judge from there. Not all same size ( capacity ) pots are the same height. My 8 qt Calphalon is about 3 inches tall than another whatever brand 8 qt job. Last thing you'd want to have happen is install the wave, then find out you have a couple pots you cannot use due to space limitations.
Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #9

Over-the-range Microwave

Turns out I did misread the instructions. They state 30 inches from the bottom of the cabinet. That still seems low though; that would have the bottom of the microwave something like 13.5-14 inches from the cook surface.

Thanks for the help everyone. My wife and I are tall, so I'd prefer it higher than lower.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #10

Over-the-range Microwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
16 inches above the range, IMO, is going to be way too low. Just guessing based on your photos, that would put the bottom of the wave in line with the top of the phone jack plate.

18 to 20 inches would be better, closer to 20", again IMO.

Assuming the LG mounts like the OTR waves I've seen, the rear mounting panel sits flush against the wall, your cabinets appear to have been spaced out some - the white portion where the range hood once was - unless the photo is playing tricks on me?

W/O knowing actual measurements of the countertop to bottom of cabinets, I'd say to set it up so the bottom of the wave is about halfway between the bottom of the cabinets and the top of the phone switchplate.

Or, you could get your biggest ( tallest ) stock pot and set that bad boy on a burner, see how high it is with the lid on, and judge from there. Not all same size ( capacity ) pots are the same height. My 8 qt Calphalon is about 3 inches tall than another whatever brand 8 qt job. Last thing you'd want to have happen is install the wave, then find out you have a couple pots you cannot use due to space limitations.
The cabinets are all the way against the wall, that little white board is only 30 inches long, it was used as a ledge to hold the bottom of the upper cabinet.

I think I'm going to shoot for 19 inches then adjust from there.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #11

Over-the-range Microwave

Can someone tell me how I'm supposed to hook up the venting hardware to my existing 7" vent? I bought the proper sized fan boot to fit the adapter that came with the microwave, but i don't see any provisions to make the connections...

I'm wondering if I just use duct tape and wrap around the whole thing a few times until I'm confident that it's sealed enough, or if I'm supposed to screw it somewhere?

Here's what I got, please advise the newb!

Last edited by bobgodd; 11-24-2012 at 04:49 PM.