Over The Range Filters - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

over the range filters

My range hood was not equipped with any grease filter or charcoal filter when I moved into my current house. Since Ive never lived in a house with an interior vented hood, I was wondering at how effective these filters are in removing overpowering smells like fried bacon or fish.

My old house didnt have any hood at all so when I cooked anything, the house would smell for hours. Not too mention there would be a nasty sticky film of grease that would settle on the tops of cabinets and the ceiling fan blades after awhile that was hard to clean off

My question is: How well do these filters remove the smell and do they remove enough of that greasy film to prevent the tops of cabinets and fridge from getting that sticky film. And do they do anything to curb the moisture from boiling water? Thanks

Advertisement

toeey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,370

over the range filters

I don't use mine very much. It vents the air back into the kitchen. It does not remove smells. Those are sent back into the kitchen as well. I don't notice a buildup of grease on the cupboards or the top of the refrigerator. Maybe if I used it more there would be a buildup. I'm not sure.

It seems almost useless to use it. Maybe someone else here can explain the purpose they serve.

I replace the filter occasionally. They're not terribly expensive.

The moisture from boiling water still goes into the room and causes the humidity level to rise. At least that's been my experience.

Barb

Advertisement

Last edited by gma2rjc; 02-28-2010 at 02:38 AM.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

over the range filters

If the range hood vents to the interior of the kitchen, you need a charcoal filter installed behind the grease trap filter and it will remove some of the smell.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote