Oven Won't Warm Up - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
sweaty

Rewards Points: 250

Oven Won't Warm Up

My electric oven from 1995,a Maytag, model # cwe4200acb, serial # 10967663mh, won't warm up. The bottom element doesn't seem to get hot. How do I fix this?

Advertisement

sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Oven Won't Warm Up

You could sart by checking the elemnt for continuity. Mine just cracked one day, lites out. When I when to lift it I saw one section was cracked through. If you use it a lot food spills seeem to weeken it as well as expansion and contaction.

Advertisement

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Oven Won't Warm Up

The first three things to do are as follows:

1. Inspect the bottom (bake) element and see if there are any discoloured or "rough" spots on it. The heating element wire is inside that bake element, and if the heating wire burns out, it'll normally leave a rough or discoloured spot on the outer jacket.

2. Check the heating element by holding it as it warms up. If it remains totally cold, it's probably either a bad switch or a terminal to the bake element burnt off. If it gets warm, but not at all hot, it's probably that one of the fuseS or circuit breakerS to the stove is burnt out. Because the stove is a 220 volt appliance, there will be TWO fuses or circuit breakers going to it. Most often the two breakers or fuses will be connected together so that you can't remove or trip one without removing or tripping both. If you have a multimeter, check for continuity across the fuses or voltage across the circuit breaker. A warm, but not hot, heating element normally means that the heating element is only getting 110 VAC instead of 220 VAC.

3. If nothing's panned out so far, remove the two fuses or trip the two circuit breakers to the stove, pull the stove away from the wall and remove the dozen screws or so to remove the back panel from the stove. Look for a wire burnt off at the bake or broil element terminals.