Oven Won't Stay Hot. - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Oven won't stay hot.

Our oven will not stay hot when set at 350 or low. It will say it is still 350 but the actual temp has reduced a lot. The oven is only 6-7 years old, bought when we bought our new home. Any suggestions on how to fix it? It is a Whirlpool Gas stove/oven if that helps.

Thanks

Advertisement

goodlow20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Oven won't stay hot.

The first thing I'd try is a new thermostat. Its only a guess so you'll have to wait until mr experience comes along

Advertisement

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,054

Oven won't stay hot.

my best guess would be the igniter is getting weak.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #4

Oven won't stay hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
The first thing I'd try is a new thermostat. Its only a guess so you'll have to wait until mr experience comes along
This should be the first step.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Oven won't stay hot.

why replace a 150.00 part without troublshooting the unit first? First thing to do is check the ignitor, let the oven preheat up to temp. watch the flame, after it goes out the ignitor will stop glowing. After the oven temp drops a few degrees the ignitor should begin to glow again. If it glows red hot and the flame does not come on the ignitor is weak. If the ignitor does not start to glow after a few degrees of temp drop, then you probably have a bad temp sensor.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #6

Oven won't stay hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
why replace a 150.00 part without troublshooting the unit first? First thing to do is check the ignitor, let the oven preheat up to temp. watch the flame, after it goes out the ignitor will stop glowing. After the oven temp drops a few degrees the ignitor should begin to glow again. If it glows red hot and the flame does not come on the ignitor is weak. If the ignitor does not start to glow after a few degrees of temp drop, then you probably have a bad temp sensor.

And how do you test for a bad thermostat?
Old 04-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Oven won't stay hot.

with a temp tester, but chances are the op's stove does not even have a thermostat
Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Oven won't stay hot.

No model/serial # but it's a W' so may have spark ignition-if so, you need servicer or throw parts at it and hope you get lucky before you go broke.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
the Musigician

Oven won't stay hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
No model/serial # but it's a W' so may have spark ignition-if so, you need servicer or throw parts at it and hope you get lucky before you go broke.
There are only so many parts involved that could cause these symptoms, so I believe it can be saved relatively cheap replacing those few parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
with a temp tester, but chances are the op's stove does not even have a thermostat
Hardwareman: why do you say that? Age or model or other?

DM
Old 04-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Oven won't stay hot.

[quote=DangerMouse;894982

Hardwareman: why do you say that? Age or model or other?

DM[/quote]
Caught my attention too. How can the oven not have a thermostat?
And, new thermostat, if $150, is going to be less to try than a service call to have people like I trust come out and lick the oven door just to start where I am? The unit is fairly new (which of course does not necessarily mean anything) so I am not suggesting taking a screwdriver to it and tossing buckets of parts near it to see what is wrong.

But let me add that the electric element itself might need replacing for $50? OP, you did say gas stove and electric oven right? I should have read more carefully before suggesting you adjust the oven gas vents. Sorry.

You know, sometimes I forget to ask the obvious? If you use this thing constantly? Are the seals around the oven door hard, brittle or fractured and gone? That would easily account for the fluctuation between 325-350 you are seeing. A set of door seals shouldn't set you back more than $40 retail?

Clearly something is wrong.

OP? Obviously you used to get use from the oven right? How much was this appliance new? How many years have you really had it? How hard did you really ride it? How much do you really, really love it? You have read posts from some of us tossing around ideas about what it might take to fix it? We are really guessing it is but something bigger than a bread box. If you had to do so, could you spend the difference between fixing it and getting something you liked even better? Always a hard a choice and budget decision to make.

Last edited by user1007; 04-09-2012 at 12:47 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
the Musigician

Oven won't stay hot.

We have a large appliance repair/resell business here that sells used parts too. This would probably be a $20.00-$50.00 (tops) fix. I replaced our rusted through washer tub for $20.00 last year if I remember right.
You might try looking at/for a business in your area like this first.

DM
Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,164

Oven won't stay hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlow20 View Post
It will say it is still 350 but the actual temp has reduced a lot.
Goodlow, I assume that you are using a separate thermometer to determine that the range is off, but what does this mean; that the knob is set at 350, or that the digital thermometer on the range shows 350? I can understand that if the knob is set at 350, and the actual is less, the problem is very likely a thermostat or something related. On the other hand, I might be wrong, and in fact most likely am, but it seems to me that if it has a digital readout, and that readout says 350, while the actual temperature is significantly less, the problem is more likely to be a board or some such component, unless of course there are two problems, one being the thermostat or whatever, and the other being the digital thermometer.

Last edited by DexterII; 04-09-2012 at 02:53 PM.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
user1007 (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Oven won't stay hot.

A good old fashioned analog thermometer stuck in the oven is a great idea. I have one, and always have.

$20. Sits on the rack or hangs.

I am also wondering if the thermocouple thing to the thermostat got coated with something so it is not sending signals. It is a long rod. Wipe it off with oven cleaner.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Oven won't stay hot.

the reason I say he probably doesn't even have a thermostat is because most all of todays ranges use a temp sensor in conjunction with the ovens electronic control. Temp sensor probably runs about $25.00 - $30.00, very cheap fix but if the op wants further help he needs to respond here and do as I suggested before and tell us how his ignitor is acting after oven runs for a spell
Old 04-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Oven won't stay hot.

let me expound a little here on my previous post.
Ranges used to have thermostats, they were electrical switches that turned the oven elements or gas valve on and off based on temperature.
Todays ranges however( if they have a digital readout) have an electronic range control (erc) and a temp. sensor. Oven sensors sense the temp in the oven cavity by increasing their internal resistance, as the ovens temp increases. This change in resistance tells the erc the ovens temp and it turns the element or burner on and off as needed. At room temp most sensors will read about 1000 ohms.
Hope this helps.

Advertisement