Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #1

Share |

Oven will not Start anymore - Worth Fixing?

I have an old gas Oven/Stove that I got with my home when I bought it.

The stove portion of the unit works fine - gas/spark/flame is all good.

Out of the blue this weekend the oven will not longer 'start'. We set the knobs - the light comes on for pre-heat - but no 'ignition' or heating starts.

I do not have the model info with me right this second - I can get it if needed - but in general is this something fixable or is it new unit time?

LordX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #2

Really need that model#.
May be as simple as the thermocouple.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #3

Ok got a picture of the model sticker. Never even looked there before - makes me look dirty
Attached Thumbnails
Oven will not Start anymore - Worth Fixing?-p3172135.jpg  
Old 03-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Go to repairclinic.com and type in model number. Type in problem your having, It will list possible solutions and you will able to order part you need. It also has how to videos as well to help you out.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
joecaption (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Here is the parts http://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For...ove-Oven-Parts The bad thing is, it is most likely the Oven Igniter. That part is $67 alone. Could also be the Oven Thermostat ($142.10). The other could be that it could be the Circuit Board/Timer, which is no longer available. Could also be the Oven Safety valve ($230).

Without really knowing which it could be. You could end up just throwing money away. I got into that situation with the stove we got with the house, when we purchased in the home in 2003. The stove had a bad control circuit board in 2007, then in 2011 had the Oven control module go out.

It was just cheaper at that point, to just purchase a new stove. We ended up getting a five burner Frigidaire stove. There is a point when you realize that the appliance will nickle & dime you to death, once they start going bad.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-17-2014), jmon (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #6

I have to agree with you - plus I was not all that happy thinking about replacing parts on this thing.

My wife will be thrilled. She sighed when I said I was coming here to try and fix it... lol
Old 03-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

It is better to get an opinion from the group, then just go off and do it. We got our stove around $786 at the local Lowe's. The other places would not budge on the floor price.

This Frigidaire Gallery is going for $765 in my area. http://www.lowes.com/pd_29714-2251-L...eel|Frigidaire

http://www.lowes.com/Appliances/Rang...duct_price%7C0

Now if she says that she wants to go to Sears, use this chart to find out the manufacturer, by the model# they state on their site or in the store. http://www.appliance411.com/parts/sears.shtml
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #8

Do not buy a GE we bought an electric convection oven new 2 years ago, nothing but trouble for us. I've already replaced a broiler element and had a mother board blow ($300) without labor. Our repairman recommended Fridgidair. I would love to sell this one and get a fridgidair, but alas no more money right now.

Baker, Silk painter and general handy-woman
mrs fix it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

mrs fix it, my problems started after we had an Ice Storm in 2007. Sent an electrical surge and not only fried the circuit board on the oven, but killed a microwave. After I put in the whole house surge, no more problems.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #10

Smart move getting the whole house on a surge protection, our house was built in 1958, solid as a rock but the electrical panel is a push-o-matic, we are landing on replacing it on our next remodel. Which will probably be next year. The kitchen is all brand new to stud, including a dedicated breaker for the oven, something I made sure they did because in the old kitchen if I had the oven on, more than two burners going and turned on the microwave the whole house would go black!
One project at a time as we have the cash, as long as we can do it. Let us know what you end up getting (gas, electric) and if you like it.
TIA

Baker, Silk painter and general handy-woman
mrs fix it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordX View Post
I have to agree with you - plus I was not all that happy thinking about replacing parts on this thing.

My wife will be thrilled. She sighed when I said I was coming here to try and fix it... lol
Anything that pleases the wife can't be wrong.
gregzoll (03-18-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 07:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordX View Post
I have an old gas Oven/Stove that I got with my home when I bought it.

The stove portion of the unit works fine - gas/spark/flame is all good.

Out of the blue this weekend the oven will not longer 'start'. We set the knobs - the light comes on for pre-heat - but no 'ignition' or heating starts.

I do not have the model info with me right this second - I can get it if needed - but in general is this something fixable or is it new unit time?
When you say the light comes on for pre heat do you mean an indicator light or is the hot surface igniter glowing? If not sure about the igniter, open the broiler door and watch when you turn the oven control on. There should be an element that glows red hot.
danpik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #13

Mine has a spark. It came with the house and looked pretty old 20 years ago. You can hear it popping for about 10 seconds to ignite a pilot.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #14

Some have spark and some have hot surface. If it is a hot surface, they can be confusing. They will glow as if they are working but will not trigger the gas valve to open. There is a current monitoring circuit on the board that looks for the current flow to be a certain level. If it does not see that level it will not open the valve even if it is glowing.
danpik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:52 AM   #15

We had big gas clothes dryers at a place I once worked and they used optical sensors to see if the element was brite enough. On occasion we had to wipe lint off the sensors eye when they stopped working.