Oven Door Question For Amana Gas Range - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Oven Door question for Amana Gas Range

As part of a long term project, we are switching our tenant's electric stove to a gas one. I just bought a traded-in gas stove from our local appliance store. It's a Amana (model ARG3701WW) with sealed burners & self cleaning oven. It looks like the burners were used a little bit but not the storage drawer or oven. Except for an issue below, it's in near new shape. The appliance store's repair shop inspected and tested it, so I think it's a good buy at $225.

That said, there's one thing that I don't like about this stove and that has to do with the framing around the glass front. Actually I don't know if what I'm seeing is a design flaw or if it's missing a piece. On the gas stove in our kitchen (a Kenmore if that matters), behind the door handle there is some plastic that looks like a vent which also covers the top edge of the glass panel. On the Amana, however, there is no vent like structure and the top of the glass is exposed. That wouldn't be a big deal except that there's a distinct gap behind the glass which looks like an obvious place for spills to run into.

At the bottom of the glass the metal lip that holds the glass in place is very rusted (paint blistered and peeling). IMHO it's still structurally sound but very ugly and surprising considering that the rest of the stove looks so great. I'm not sure if the lower lip rust problem is connected to the open top but I wonder since it's so bad.

In order to figure out if the top of the glass is suppose to be this way, I went to the amana site and downloaded the manual for this model but it doesn't have a picture or diagram of the oven front. In fact I can't seem to find a definite image of this model on google search either.

I emailed Amana but haven't gotten a reply yet. I plan to call next week. That said, I'd appreciate some feedback from you folks.

My questions:
Does anyone know if it was typical for Amana oven doors to have the top edge of the glass exposed like this?

If there's not a piece missing and this is just the way it was designed, I would still like to figure a way to keep spills/food/dust from entering the gap behind the glass. I'm thinking about inserting a strip of gasketing or something like that behind the top edge. Is that a dumb idea?

About the lower metal edge. While it's just a cosmetic issue, I still would like to make it look better. I know that the oven door can be lifted off it's hinges. How hard would it be to take off that lower lip so I could either replace or refinish it?

Advertisement

ChrisJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Oven Door question for Amana Gas Range

sure about that model#?? also you need the P#. should have top trim piece & bottom support is replaceable. go to a parts dist in your area and they should be able to help.

Advertisement

Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote