OTR Microwave Help No Stud! - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

OTR Microwave help no stud!

We wanted to replace the hood fan with an OTR microwave but after searching with a stud finder there are no usable studs. Is it still possible and safe to install with no studs and only wing nuts.

Advertisement

amber777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

no. Remove the drywall behind the MW and install blocking between two studs. Now you can mount into these studs

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Check the installation instructions. It may use wall anchors as an option. Some of them can be rated for a lot of weight. The oven is probably no more that 60 or 70 pounds. Nothing for 4 big wall anchors.
sv9779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #4

Just had a thought. The oven is 24 to 30 inches wide. How is it possible there are no studs in that span??? Take a dry wall screw and do some probeing. Maybe your just not reading them.
sv9779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #5

It comes with wall anchors but recomended not installing if there is no stud my husband was thinking of using the anchors and a couple or 3 L shaped shelf brackets in the lower horizontal sud for additional support what do you think?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #6

We thought maybe we werenot reading them but only found one horizontal stud well below oven intall.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Amber, has to be something there PLUS you can install that MW by attaching to the cabinet above it. ALSO look inside the cabinet and see where the screws are that will tell you where the studs are
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #8

I know, hard to believe but there really is nothing there and I can see the screws in the cupboard above but if you follow the line down there is nothing there. The only stud we found is just above the back of the range and horizontal.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Amber, has to be something there PLUS you can install that MW by attaching to the cabinet above it. ALSO look inside the cabinet and see where the screws are that will tell you where the studs are
the upper cabinet can not be used to support a MW. These bolts are for stabilizing the tilt only. The back brackets must be securely fastened, not into drywall. Seems like a lot of help here from those that do not do this work. At least I hope they don't.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
the upper cabinet can not be used to support a MW. These bolts are for stabilizing the tilt only. The back brackets must be securely fastened, not into drywall. Seems like a lot of help here from those that do not do this work. At least I hope they don't.
As no studs are there could we help support the mw by using L shaped shelf brackets fastened to the lower horizontal stud under the bottom?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:04 AM   #11

Amber,
Bob is correct, if you don't secure this properly you could end up replacing the stove and OTR if it drops loose and you'll be fixing a lot more drywall as well...
Your stove is wide enough that it would sit in the gap from a previous archway....was there a reno done by a prior owner?
Is it possible you are dealing with a wall that has been used to close in an old opening for a window or doorway or, archway or this could even a be a double wall ?

If you are covering the wall anyway, carefully cut out the drywall above the lowest level of the new OTR and figure out what you're dealing with. If you don't want to open the whole thing even if you cut a small opening you can fish a mirror in and have a look. Then figure out the larger cutout required either for an inspection panel or to replace the drywall.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:09 AM   #12
SDC

Just another thought...
Make sure after you are removing the existing hood, that you have enough height from the microwave to the stove top. I have seen people put them too close. Your micro instruction should give you a minimum height required to the bottom of the OTR to the stove. Also in your explanation of the missing studs, would moving it up help find it?
Is this a possibility...
OTR Microwave help no stud!-microwave-001.jpg
OTR Microwave help no stud!-microwave-002.jpg
SDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
Custom Cabinet Maker

Amber: Remove the cabinet that is there, open the wall, keep the bottom seam above the bottom of the MW, frame what you need, re-rock. This is the fastest and easiest way to deal with this particular problem.
Once wall is open you will see where the studs are inside the wall on either side, you may have to build out from them untill you can get into the cavity for the MW. USE screws!!!!!!! way less damage to surrounding walls when attaching to the studs inside the walls.
Bob: Yes you can use upper to support mw. I would say tho it is NOT a DIY job, but to give a blanket statement , you may wanna hold back a bit.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #14
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Amber: Remove the cabinet that is there, open the wall, keep the bottom seam above the bottom of the MW, frame what you need, re-rock. This is the fastest and easiest way to deal with this particular problem.
Once wall is open you will see where the studs are inside the wall on either side, you may have to build out from them untill you can get into the cavity for the MW. USE screws!!!!!!! way less damage to surrounding walls when attaching to the studs inside the walls.
Bob: Yes you can use upper to support mw. I would say tho it is NOT a DIY job, but to give a blanket statement , you may wanna hold back a bit.
I guess that would depend on the quality of the base of the upper cabinet. And many are poorly made. And units I have seen specifically state that this is not to be installed that way.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #15
J Calvin Construction

Rewards Points: 150

How old is your house? Is there a possibility that there it solid blocking behind the mw. Somethime a studfinder will act strange when there is solid blocking behind it. The reason I ask if it is an old house is that there may be beadboard, tongue and groove, or some other wallcovering behind the drywall that is causing the studfinder to act up.

Advertisement

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote