OTR Microwave Back Wall Venting? - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2015, 01:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 56

OTR Microwave back wall venting?

I'm getting ready to replace a microwave (that is currently set up to only recirculate the air) and I can tell there was an old range hood installed prior to that. It had to have been venting through the back of the wall (not roof venting) b/c the cabinet above the current microwave has no signs of any venting and I see a vent exhaust cap outside on the side of the house near the kitchen window (it says Jenn-air).

My question is when I get that old microwave down to install the new one, what are the odds my new microwave (its a GE JVM3160RFSS) back venting damper assembly will match up with the old range hood duct? Are those usually pretty standard sizes? The new microwave venting damper is made to join to 3 1/4 x 10" ductwork. Or, am I in for a huge headache?

We cook A LOT and i'm tired of just recirculating everything.

Advertisement

rmoore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,162

We are all just guessing. Take down the microwave and then you know what you got.
You might have to do a little retrofitting. If you have an existing vent back there that is accurately on center, that's 90 percent of the battle.

Advertisement

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
rmoore1 (06-15-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,492

slim to none
Old 06-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
slim to none
Well, the good news is that the existing venting ductwork was pretty much exactly where I needed it to be. The bad news is that it goes about 3 inches before taking a 90 degree turn up (and down?) to take it out of the house. So, its almost like venting right into a wall which weakens the power of the vent severely. But, to me, i still like it better than venting grease and steam right back into the room (and directly onto the cabinets above).
Attached Thumbnails
OTR Microwave back wall venting?-img_20150613_145824.jpg  
Old 06-25-2015, 04:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,674

Anything stopping you from rerouting the vent to directly exit the building?
Ron6519 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:12 PM   #6

Kind of. The garage is directly behind that wall.

I think the best bet would be to change the way the microwave vents to be out the top, instead of the rear. Then, add some duct work to go right into the cabinet above and meet up with the existing duct work somewhere. But, that's above my current level of skill.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:44 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoore1 View Post
Then, add some duct work to go right into the cabinet above and meet up with the existing duct work somewhere. But, that's above my current level of skill.
What do you mean, "existing ductwork"? A microwave exhaust is that, a microwave exhaust. You can't add it to anything.
You can add ductwork that gets it to the exterior if the length of ductwork is less then the manufacturers stated maximum length. This also has some. "small print". Every 90 degree turn equals about 5 linear feet.
So a 10 foot straight run plus 3- 90 degree turns equals 25 feet.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is online now   Reply With Quote