Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Older GE Fridge no Ice

OK, I have an older GE top/bottom fridge/freezer. (Model # inside door says TBX21JI)

Recently, without any noticeable problems (no power outage/surge, rest of fridge works perfectly), the ice maker stopped making ice. Here is what I have done so far:

-Checked water "tap" in basement, water is being pumped from there to water filter.

-Removed water line both before and after filter, both sides have water.

-removed water lines from water valve (back bottom of fridge) and there is water going in but not out (up to ice making tray). I also checked the water line that goes through the back of the freezer wall and it is free and clear of ice buildup/blockage.

-Bought and installed a new water valve as the older one was the original and new was relatively inexpensive. Water is still not being pumped through the water valve.

I don't have any kind of electric meter, but the circut tester I have that came with my wire cutter/stripper (tests to see if there is current in the line/outlet) doesn't show any power going into the water valve device. I traced one of the wires that goes up somewhere near the freezer (there is a wiring conduit and I can't tell where it ends up), and the other wire appears to go under the fridge at the bottom somewhere.

I also looked at the ice making tray/mechanism and there is definately power going into the unit. Since it's not getting any water, my only assumption is the power supply line for the water valve. Does anyone know if it's easy to replace those lines, or if I should check for a fuse or something? Any help is appreciated.

WorldOfJohnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #2

Older GE Fridge no Ice

Just a follow-up, I found a way to test the water valve by hooking it up to a "cheater" power cable and water came out of the tube and into the tray, so it appears that it is something inside the icemaker (switch, thermostat, etc.)

Rather than try to figure it out, I would like to purchase a replacement module instead of tinkering. I could probably test out the switches, thermostat, etc., but I am not going to tinker.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #3

Older GE Fridge no Ice

Older GE's had micro switch in icemaker,for water switch. sounds like the culprit
d scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #4

Older GE Fridge no Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by d scott View Post
Older GE's had micro switch in icemaker,for water switch. sounds like the culprit
Oddly enough, after looking at the On/Off switch mechanism, I noticed that the screw that turns the icemaker switch on and off was loose. I tried to tighten it, but noticed it wouldn't tighten. Took the screw out and found that the plastic molded screw threads had a split in the plastic, so I would have had to have replaced it anyway.

Got a new icemaker and installed it, all works perfectly now... wife is happy!