Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #1

Share |

Old Burglar Alarm Problem

Hi,
Aside from the obvious "Buy a new one", I wonder if anyone can help me with a burglar alarm problem.
I have an old system (pictures attached) which functioned fine, then one day I accidentally set off two of the PIR sensors, and now I can't reset the system.
With the key switch turned to test/fault the system is off, but if I turn it to Alarm On or Alarm Off the siren keeps ringing. Turn it back to test/fault and the siren goes off.
Normal operation is to leave it turned to Alarm Off, then turn it to Alarm On when we go out, and then turn it back to off when home.
I tried disconnecting the internal battery (plenty of power despite age, works fine), and tried turning off the mains current in the hope that would reset it, then turned off both the mains and battery. All to no avail. In the picture the battery is disconnected, but it's back on again, that was just to test another option.
It was here when I moved in, and has worked fine for about 10 years. I've set it off a few times when I don't turn it off quick enough when coming home, and normally the key resets it. No instruction book, I've tried many combinations of holding in various buttons. Before I go and buy a new system, does anyone have any ideas.
Thanks in advance,
Nebs.
Attached Images

Nebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebs View Post
then one day I accidentally set off two of the PIR sensors, and now I can't reset the system.
What else is on the system?

99% of the time (with the old system like this my folks house had) one of the windows is boogered. Can you "get a white light"?
iow... is the physical wiring circuit around the house closed?

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #3

Hi, system has PIR's and breaker switches on doors and windows.

But it was when I set off 2 PIR's with the system on that it all went wrong. None of the breaker switches were tripped.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #4

Most of these systems use a series loop. As long as all the sensors in the loop flow current, the system is "OK". If you tripped a PIR, it may not have reset. You can check the PIR for continuity and see if it reset properly. The PIR may have a stuck relay in it. If you know which one it is, try simply jumpering the terminals on it, and see if the alarm will arm properly
av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by av-geek View Post
Most of these systems use a series loop. As long as all the sensors in the loop flow current, the system is "OK". If you tripped a PIR, it may not have reset. You can check the PIR for continuity and see if it reset properly. The PIR may have a stuck relay in it. If you know which one it is, try simply jumpering the terminals on it, and see if the alarm will arm properly
Thanks. Sounds good, but how do I do that? Don't want to electrocute myself or short out the whole system by doing the wrong thing. I'm OK with basic electrics like putting in a new socket, but don't know what jumpering the terminals means.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #6

try looking up your system on the net to see if manual is available...ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
try looking up your system on the net to see if manual is available...ben sr
Hi, that was the first thing I tried. Failed to find anything. I think the system originated in the 80's, but apart from the writing on the outside of the box there are no other clues to search for.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nebs For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (10-19-2013)